Unknown pallet woods.... prepared fairly rigorously (to reduce time and effort required to id), though i was limited to 800 grit.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
very first option in forums area "introductions"

Sustineri Ob-root-a

Reaction score
First name
Jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, can I change my user name? I should have come up with something less plane. If I wood have thought for a moment, I could have sprouted something better.

Sustineri Ob-root-a

Reaction score
First name
Jason
@jasongoldstein78 please provide us with an introduction to yourself in the new member intro area

Done...

Sustineri Ob-root-a

Reaction score
First name
Jason
I also have additional pics. I apologize for any redundancy, I figured I'd kill two boards with one stone and start separating and combining what I've got sanded by simple visual comparison of the end grains while waiting for resonses to my thread. 20200915_091859.jpg 20200915_093322.jpg 20200915_094128.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Your'e funny... You have a mix of species. Let's see, of the 10,000 woods sold commercially, only about 6,000 are commonly used in pallets. That limits things....

3 pictures up, white oak, elm, eucalyptus twice and another wood.

On a more serious note, most pallets are stamped with a country of origin and plant ID number. This can often help reduce possible candidates for a small region before going global. Limit your pictures to two boards at a time, showing end grain and face gain, and side grain as well. Color photos are a plus as are scale. Having a ruler in view can help. Paul will have some things to help you for sure.

Welcome to Woodbarter.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Also, can I change my user name? I should have come up with something less plane. If I wood have thought for a moment, I could have sprouted something better.

What would you prefer your new name to be?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@jasongoldstein78 welcome to the forum.

It's really annoying to have to refer to woods as "3rd from the bottom in the 2nd pic" kind of think. Please LABEL your pics at least with numbers for each wood and then we'll see about helping w/ IDs

Last edited:

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
I also have additional pics. I apologize for any redundancy, I figured I'd kill two boards with one stone and start separating and combining what I've got sanded by simple visual comparison of the end grains while waiting for resonses to my thread.View attachment 193631View attachment 193632View attachment 193633
if you read some of the other posts in the wood id forum, you'll get a much better understanding of the details and specifics needed to create a possible ID situation

Sustineri Ob-root-a

Reaction score
First name
Jason
So, just to clarify, the pictures I have posted are insufficient alone? I appreciate your(s) and everyone else's time, and when I have time, I'll read. Any specific posts, or should i just wander around?

Can you elaborate on the terms;

1. DETAILS
2 SPECIFICS

I wood have thought a forum was a place people could join to accelerate the process if learning... especially from those who are passionate and actually want to teach.

But, I digress.

Thanks again!

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
So, just to clarify, the pictures I have posted are insufficient alone? I appreciate your(s) and everyone else's time, and when I have time, I'll read. Any specific posts, or should i just wander around?
some of them may be identifiable by just the end grain but it's better to have at least face grain and density

Can you elaborate on the terms;

1. DETAILS
2 SPECIFICS
To reiterate what someone already said, read some of the wood ID posts in the wood characteristics forum.

I wood [sic] have thought a forum was a place people could join to accelerate the process if learning... especially from those who are passionate and actually want to teach.
and that's exactly what you have joined. What makes you think otherwise?

Last edited:

Sustineri Ob-root-a

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Your'e funny... You have a mix of species. Let's see, of the 10,000 woods sold commercially, only about 6,000 are commonly used in pallets. That limits things....

3 pictures up, white oak, elm, eucalyptus twice and another wood.

On a more serious note, most pallets are stamped with a country of origin and plant ID number. This can often help reduce possible candidates for a small region before going global. Limit your pictures to two boards at a time, showing end grain and face gain, and side grain as well. Color photos are a plus as are scale. Having a ruler in view can help. Paul will have some things to help you for sure.

Welcome to Woodbarter.
I learned more from this one light- hearted and witty post.

1. ~10,000 different species of wood are sold commercially.
2. ~6,000 of those are used to make pallets (I'm assuming the undesirable/ damaged/scrap pieces) from furniture manufacturers and lumber suppliers.
3. Most pallets (if not Frankensteined together) have a country of origin stamp (is there a decipher?)
4. The standard for which to submit unknown samples.
A. 2 sample per photo limit
B. Color pictures preferred
C. End, face and side grains
(properly prepared I'm assuming)
D. A ruler (sized to fit in pictures with samples)
E. There is a helpful member named Paul.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
E. There is a helpful member named Paul.
Well, Paul is SOMETIMES helpful. He's more likely to be of help if you visit his site, as suggested above, and if you provide a more adequate description of your woods. In addition to my previous comment, I would add that as Mark suggested, a scale next to each end grain would be good.

AGAIN --- look at my site. I don't expect you to do the quality of processing that I do, and usually it's not even necessary to go to that extreme but you need to do better than your first post. Number the woods, show face grain, scale with end grain, density, pallet stamp if one's available, etc. At least you're off to a good start with the good quality end grain pics. On some woods you will need MUCH better cleanup and much better resolution.

After we get this all sorted out, if there are any left with no ID you can send me a cutoff and I'll process it and see if that helps ID it.