Unknown Species Biltmore Hotel Reclaim

C2CBarnwood

Reaction score
First name
Johnny
New to the forum will use frequently. I operate a reclaimed barnwood company in Clearwater, FL.

Hoping to ID this wood. It's quite dense (seems heavier than Oak).

Thanks in advance

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Last edited:

C2CBarnwood

Reaction score
First name
Johnny
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hope these are better..
It also has "yellow streaking" when ripped with the grain (see pics)

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Darn Paul, that was very good and nifty ID. When I saw the surface grain of the close ups, I dashed to look at my samples of Lignum Vitae and it I saw a match, however your end grain on your site sealed the deal and matches what he has.

Being that the Biltmore Hotel opened in the mid 1920’s, what is the likelihood they used ipe versus Lignum Vitae? I am just fascinated by it. Johnny where was this piece salvaged from- decking, interior trim, paneling, etc.?

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Darn Paul, that was very good and nifty ID. When I saw the surface grain of the close ups, I dashed to look at my samples of Lignum Vitae and it I saw a match, however your end grain on your site sealed the deal and matches what he has.

Being that the Biltmore Hotel in mid 1920’s, what is the likelihood they used ipe versus Lignum Vitae? I am just fascinated by it. Johnny where was this piece salvaged from- decking, interior trim, paneling, etc.?
Lignum vitae would be very unlikely anyway because this wood is very grainy and LV is not. As to whether or not LV would have been likely used at that time and place, I have no clue.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Edit: I missed your Intro post, my apologies. Tony

Last edited:

C2CBarnwood

Reaction score
First name
Johnny
Awesome! Thanks for the ID, Phinds!

Man! I love this forum! I get a lot of pieces and now I kinda want to stump you guys haha!

Arn213
Unfortunately I got that piece with a pile of others from the Biltmore so knowing what it was used for is difficult. 16" spacing on nail holes tell me decking is likely

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
16" spacing on nail holes tell me decking is likely
Makes sense since ipe is most commonly used for flooring / decking rather than, say, paneling.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Awesome! Thanks for the ID, Phinds!

Man! I love this forum! I get a lot of pieces and now I kinda want to stump you guys haha!

Arn213
Unfortunately I got that piece with a pile of others from the Biltmore so knowing what it was used for is difficult. 16" spacing on nail holes tell me decking is likely

Thank you for the response. I am in the building trade and my initial impression was for decking due to the weathered patina/oxidation and it turns grayish silver when it is not properly finish with a UV protectant. They use Ipe decking for higher end custom houses on wrap around porches here in Charleston- ipe is so hard that it needs to be predrilled and use carbide saw blades to cut them due to their hardness and density- yes, I’ve seen some absurd figuring used on project walk throughs on multiple houses! The only reason I brought up paneling because the sample you shown with the groves appears that it was pre-bored for a clean honest fit and there is absent of threading from screws on the side walls or pressure point on the face grain surface. 16” spacing is standard anyway whether it is do decking, wall boarding or screwed in paneling (instead of tongue and groove or lap joint, etc.).

What are the dimensions of that board?

Thank you.

Last edited:

C2CBarnwood

Reaction score
First name
Johnny
Thank you for the response. I am in the building trade and my initial impression was for decking due to the weathered patina/oxidation and it turns grayish silver when it is not properly finish with a UV protectant. They use Ipe decking for higher end custom houses on wrap around porches where in Charleston where it is so hard that it needs to be predrilled and use carbide saw blades to cut them due to their hardness and density- yes, I’ve seen some absurd figuring used on project walk throughs on multiple houses! The only reason I brought up paneling because the sample you shown with the groves appears that it was pre-bored for a clean honest fit and there is absent of threading from screws on the side walls or pressure point on the face grain surface. 16” spacing is standard anyway whether it is do decking, wall boarding or screwed in paneling (instead of tongue and groove or lap joint, etc.).

What are the dimensions of that board?

Thank you.

I was in the construction industry as well for most of my life until I got into the reclaimed business. Cheers to a fellow tradesman!

The board is 1x4x15