Unusual Maple Figure

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
UPDATE:

I made a few narrow slices on the end grain and pretty quickly got down to where there's some obvious indented grain (the source of "bear claw" figure)

View attachment 146424

Thanks again for the piece Larry. Nice addition to the site.
Paul, I was working with another section of that board that I think will make a better example for your database. I’ll send that along with the rosewood you wanted.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Paul, I was working with another section of that board that I think will make a better example for your database. I’ll send that along with the rosewood you wanted.
Excellent. I appreciate it. I've got a fair number of the more available (read inexpensive) exotics if there's anything you're looking for.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I’m into pens so anything that would make a special pen would be appreciated. Thanks for your offer.
I'll see what I have.

Oh, how about yew? I've got a few really nice pieces of English yew that I think would make very attractive pens.

This kind of thing:
yew.jpg

Last edited:

RogerC

Reaction score
First name
Roger
The only significant issue is that all I have is 4/4 stock. Would love to have some 8 or 12/4 but it's not to be. Still, if @RogerC would like to try a piece, I'll certainly make it available. Wonder if it would make a good pot call?
Yea that looks interesting let me know how much, I'll PM you my address.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Larry, (@FranklinWorkshops) I got the new piece last week but my daughter was married on Sat and it was a bit of a madhouse both before and after what w/ preparation and relatives and all.

Anyway, I'll get some pics of it one of these days.

Thanks again

Paul

P.S. remind me again, what are the small darker pieces? I know we discussed it but I'm too lazy to dig around and find it.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Hey Paul, congratulations to your daughter and new son-in-law. The small pieces were the East Indian Rosewood that Hearne's guys finally ID'd for me.
They think it is old growth stuff. You had asked for a pen blank.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Hey Paul, congratulations to your daughter and new son-in-law. The small pieces were the East Indian Rosewood that Hearne's guys finally ID'd for me.
They think it is old growth stuff. You had asked for a pen blank.
Larry, regardless of what Herane's guys said, there is no way the pen blanks are E.I. rosewood. The end grain says that's impossible. As nearly as I can tell, it's probably Brazilian rosewood, although I'm not 100% on that.

Here's a typical end grain of E.I. rosewood, then the end grain of the pen blanks, then a typical end grain of Brazilian rosewood.

upload_2018-7-3_8-12-2.png upload_2018-7-3_8-12-5.png upload_2018-7-3_8-12-11.png

I can only assume the Hearne guys don't understand wood anatomy and have based their statement on the face grain. I agree that the face grain suggests it could be E.I. rosewood but I don't have any samples of E.I. rosewood that look quite like it, whereas it looks exactly like a piece of Brazilian rosewood that I have.

At any rate, ID via face grain is reasonably accurate SOME of the time, but end grain is MUCH more reliable all of the time and as you can see from the pics, it's quite distinctive in this case.

Last edited:

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Larry, regardless of what Herane's guys said, there is no way the pen blanks are E.I. rosewood. The end grain says that's impossible. As nearly as I can tell, it's probably Brazilian rosewood, although I'm not 100% on that.

Here's a typical end grain of E.I. rosewood, then the end grain of the pen blanks, then a typical end grain of Brazilian rosewood.

View attachment 149525View attachment 149526View attachment 149527

I can only assume the Hearne guys don't understand wood anatomy and have based their statement on the face grain. I agree that the face grain suggests it could be E.I. rosewood but I don't have any samples of E.I. rosewood that look quite like it, whereas it looks exactly like a piece of Brazilian rosewood that I have.

At any rate, ID via face grain is reasonably accurate SOME of the time, but end grain is MUCH more reliable all of the time and as you can see from the pics, it's quite distinctive in this case.

Well, this is great news. Thanks for analyzing it. As I said, this has been in my stash for many years so it is probably pre-ban Brazilian. As you have said many times, just looking at a piece of rosewood is risky as there is so much variability within each. I'll take a piece back to Hearne's and show them the end grain photos you took. It's probably been years since they have had any true Brazilian. I imagine Hearne's buyers do understand wood anatomy, they just didn't put my piece through the rigors of end grain analysis like you did, and based their opinion on appearance. Thankfully, I still have a few blanks left and will get someone to turn them into pens for me.

@Eric Rorabaugh received several of these Brazilian rosewood blanks so he will be thrilled.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Wow! Great to know. The ones I have will be put back and only used for a special pen.