Upgrading this ole band saw...

bradleyheathhays

Reaction score
First name
Brad
I need to upgrade my ancient 16" Grizzly band saw, but I'm not sure if what I'm needing is possible. I need a bigger support platform as well as increased cutting height. I think there are upgrades out there for increased cutting height but not sure about if there are options for installing a larger platform. I'm hoping my platform mount is of a universal type and there might be an upgrade option out there. Or if I can rig it somehow that'd be acceptable too. Any advice on where the parts I'm needing might be sold?

4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
You can get a riser kit from grizzly for a 14" but not sure if they have anything for a 16" to increase the cutting height. Not sure what you man by a new platform? Do you mean a larger table? That could get costly. What is your need for a larger table? If it's just for cutting bowl blanks than a plywood overlay would work just fine.

Last edited:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
As far as the platform is concerned, I used a piece of melamine on my Grizzly 17" to greatly increase the size of the platform. I put a runner on the bottom to go in the miter slot, as well as cleats on the front and side so that it not only stays square but also will not tilt or otherwise tip on me when cutting big bowl blanks. The front cleat also acts as a stop so that when sliding it (similar to miter sled) I never cut past the center. A simple pin put at any radius you desire can also create a great circle cutting jig. The melamine stays very clean and slides easily, especially with a bit of paste wax on the bottom; protects your original platform as well.

I'm not at home right now and only have the one picture, but if you'd like more details let me know. I love this set up!

20210109_153537.jpg

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I'm also a little confused... "Support platform", you're talking about the base the saw is sitting on? Don't know that they come in different sizes unless you cobble something together yourself. To my knowledge, they are always pretty narrow.
Being two piece construction, looks like it's made to take a riser block as an option but I'm not familiar with the Grizzly saws.
What year was that saw manufactured?

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I need to upgrade my ancient 16" Grizzly band saw, but I'm not sure if what I'm needing is possible. I need a bigger support platform as well as increased cutting height. I think there are upgrades out there for increased cutting height but not sure about if there are options for installing a larger platform. I'm hoping my platform mount is of a universal type and there might be an upgrade option out there. Or if I can rig it somehow that'd be acceptable too. Any advice on where the parts I'm needing might be sold?

View attachment 216889View attachment 216890View attachment 216891View attachment 216892
If you have the model number, the riser shouldn't be a huge problem. I am with every other comment so far on the support surface. Melamine or formica topped should do the trick in your own custom size. If you want it permanent, you can make it a little larger and put legs under it as in an out feed table.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Here's a better picture of the "platform" I made for my bandsaw if that's in fact what you're looking to do. It's 34" wide and 24" deep, which makes it incredibly stable for cutting bigger pieces. And the ability to slide it in and out 12" is a feature I'd highly recommend as well.

Unfortunately in a small space it tends to become a staging area for works in process that all need moving when I want to actually use it as a bandsaw!

20211003_084433.jpg

bradleyheathhays

Reaction score
First name
Brad
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're absolutely right greg. Got in contact with Grizzly and they said no riser block available for the 16". No problem though as I found a way around the issue. All this is toward being able to cut bowl blanks out of logs and after finding robo hippy's chain saw cutting setup I don't think I'm gonna need the cutting height I thought I would. And on the table size, once I found the tapped screw holes in the sides of the table I just mounted some angle iron extensions and laid some melamine on top and the problem was solved.

Yep Steve that's exactly what I did, just like you described. The only addition mine has is a section of T track embeded in the melamine to the right of the blade with about a 1 inch screw mounted to stick up as a pivot point. Further to the right is a tensioning knob mounted under the table that secures the sliding t track to cut whatever radius you need. REAL handy setup and a big step up from what I started with. Nice pieces by the way. I hope to work up to being able to make something like those someday. Would you care to make a general estimate of what these pieces retail value would be? My end goal is to do production runs for income. Thanks.

numbers.jpg

Sorry Jersey I'm so green I'm still learning the correct terms for tool parts. Yes the table is what I was trying to refer to. Far as year the saw was manufactured it's anybody's guess. Far enough back they weren't giving them a model number...only calling it a 16" band saw.