Urban Maple Project

Allen Tomaszek

Reaction score
First name
Allen
Sounds cooler than it really is. This big silver maple in my side yard developed an insect problem so we had to take it down. Because of proximity to my house and my neighbor we chose to take it down in small pieces but salvaged a 42” diameter butt log and a couple of odd and end crotches. Hated to see it go but safety dictated removal. At least we’ll get to enjoy the wood.

29CB147E-EF82-402C-89A5-63D2FA9FA1A7.jpeg
5C66C824-5EC6-4EC0-8D16-318B122D3EA7.jpeg
F91A2452-747E-472F-9BA3-FE6ECDA0DFD6.jpeg 1A4ACE2D-E08F-4963-B3AB-755C97870B0D.jpeg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
The shorts would make nice bowl blanks. I have milled shorts like those with my csm. Hard to hold on a band mill though.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Good call, those old silver maples are dangerous..... Did you do the removal yourself? around here a job like that would cost big bucks!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I like all the specialized tools and equipment, like the little claw picker and the log trailer that you drive over the log, strap it up and ratchet into place. Pretty cool.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Shame to see such a large tree have to go, but good you are able to use at least some of the wood.

I want one of those little green claw machines (even though I dont have a use for it), never seen anything that small, is it a custom made machine?

Allen Tomaszek

Reaction score
First name
Allen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a friend in the tree service business take this one down. The tree had carpenter ant issues and it was also just old. One of the main leads was dying so it was just time to go.

I was super impressed with the small articulating mover. It lifted a lot more than I thought it would and it could get in and out of tight spaces. I want one!

The log arch comes in handy for large logs in yards. As long as I can get my truck in the space I can get the log out. And we have other ways for getting logs out of tighter spaces where we can’t get the truck in.

Looking forward to getting this one on the mill.

Allen Tomaszek

Reaction score
First name
Allen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bought it used quite awhile ago. The original company that made this was Future Forestry and I believe Logrite bought them. This particular model isn’t made any more. The model is named Hugo and can fit up to 50” diameter log inside the arch. I can pull this behind my truck comfortably around town.