Used Lathe Purchase - Advice Needed on Jet 1442VS

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Took you guys longer than expected to ask for pictures!

Getting it set up turned into a garage cleaning project vs. having some fun turning.

I still have lots of clean up and rearranging to do, but it's out of my car and set up.

20190929_115342.jpg

20190929_112724.jpg

20190929_115931.jpg

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
In addition: ALWAYS set the speed to the slowest setting before stopping it. Just trust me on this, one day you'll forget you left it on 2,000rpm last time you worked on a pen, and when you start it with a rough bowl blank it'll jump around the shop.

While Duncan makes a good point in his post, I'd like to add... Make a point to always check your speed before mounting your piece.

Do it religiously, regardless of what you are mounting, make a practice of checking your speed before you mount ANYTHING. In the event you forgot to slow it down before parking it, you can always turn it on empty and slow it down, without large chunks of wood flying across the shop. If you make this a practiced step in preparing to turn ANYTHING, it comes more naturally, and you're less apt to forget. I know, I will at times turn my speed up during final sanding at higher grit on pens, occasionally part pieces while holding them in place at speed, finish the bottoms on pieces at speed, and forget to turn my speed down. Turned one or two on that were out of balance, spit a couple out in the floor, had the lathe jumping all over while trying to shut it off with my toe, because I sure as hell wasn't leaning over in front of it to reach the switch. So, I just got in the habit of checking my speed before mounting anything. Turn it on, slow it down if necessary, then mount the piece.

The Reeves Drive is a pretty solid system Steve, not a lot that can go wrong with them if they're not abused. There are a ton of lathes out there in the world that utilize this drive system. You may see some end play in bearings over time as the drive exerts forces opening and closing that will cause some wear laterally along the shaft. See that in my Grizzly, and have the bearings to replace them one day in the near future. This won't affect your turning in most cases as pressure applied with the tailstock holds everything in place and it doesn't affect anything.

For a Jet, in that condition, with the extras, it was a pretty decent buy at that price. The additional bed length isn't a bad thing either. While I personally haven't had a project that needed the additional length, I had a neighbor ask if I could turn some table legs, for cedar cookie tables he was building. He built a few taller tables with a shelf, and there I did use pretty much the entire bed length (40" on mine) on a dozen or so legs.

Congrats on the new lathe, I'm sure you're enjoying! :good2:

Last edited:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Thanks Rocky, and everyone else for your thoughts and guidance!

While I can definitely see the disadvantages of the Reeves Drive on many levels, it was just too good of a deal for the price I actually ended up paying for everything. On top of the lathe, there were 2 chucks; a Nova G3 and a Supernova 2 with 5 different jaw sets. 3 Easy Wood faceplates. 16-18 tools, including 3 full-size Easy Wood tools, one of which was brand new, and 2 of their mid-size tools. 1 Sorby swan neck hollowing tool, though it's missing the cutter. There was a full set of Henry Taylor tools, and some old Craftsman tools as well. He also threw in an Oneida Dust Deputy and has some walnut and hickory logs I can go back and get any time. I just didn't have any more room in my Explorer at the time; tough problems, I know! The guy was super nice and just looking to clean out his garage and wanted it to go to someone he knew would use it.

It's definitely taking some time getting used to it and remembering to always turn the speed down versus hitting the off button, and your advice of checking it before mounting is solid! All in all I couldn't be happier given what I've now got.

Thanks again everyone!

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Now that is a sweet deal! Souds like you hit the jackpot there. Once you get used to the Reeves drive you'll cuss every time you have to move a belt to shift gears.

Maybe not your lathe Steve, but there are a few short videos here you may find useful. One on lining up centers, the other on tailstock maintenance on a Jet Lathe, one on maintenance of the Reeves drive.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet-jwl-1440vs-14-x-40-benchtop-wood-lathe

Chris S.

Reaction score
First name
Chris
@Steve in VA. Welcome to the dark side my friend. Before you know it you will be wasting large quantities of beautiful wood lile the rest of us addicts. Have fun sir. No matter large or small, every project I do on my lathe is rewarding. You will have quite a bit if fun doing it.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Congrats on the lathe!!!
Never had that one— just its cousins.
Sounds like you have enough to get a great start. I would’t worry about the Reeve drive- it worked fine for me on other lathes..... I started a while back and would upgrade whenever I would catch one one on CL. Now There are’t upgrades for me— I have a Robust AB now.

B-Well

Reaction score
First name
Bardwell
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Jet 1442 VS lathe, which would be a huge upgrade for me. I'm going to look at it tomorrow night and would love your advice.

1) In general, what should I be weary of? Is there a tell tale sign or something specific to check that would indicate past or future problems?

2) Are there any known problems with this particular model?

3) I'll obviously turn it on, bring it up to speed, and check the belt & alignment. What else???

4) What is a fair price these days for a used (assume none of the above presents any issues) one?

Thanks in advance!
I have had the 1442 for many years and am very happy with it; I believe you will like it. I am about to sell my 1442 and get the 1640 only because I want to start doing some turnings that require slower speeds for some of the finishing techniques... otherwise I would keep my 1442.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I have had the 1442 for many years and am very happy with it; I believe you will like it. I am about to sell my 1442 and get the 1640 only because I want to start doing some turnings that require slower speeds for some of the finishing techniques... otherwise I would keep my 1442.

Well, isn't this is a blast from the past!

Thanks B-Well! I did enjoy it for a few years and put a lot of miles on her, then upgraded to a NOVA Galaxi DVR. The 1442 served me well and was a nice stepping stone! Good luck with both selling your 1442 and purchasing a new one. The 1640 will be a nice upgrade for you.

B-Well

Reaction score
First name
Bardwell
Does anyone have the Nova Orion 18"? I was pretty much set on the Jet 1640, but after looking at the Orion I see that it might be a better lathe for my needs. I watched a video of someone who has this lathe and he listed all he liked and disliked about it, not many dislikes, but the one he mentioned that gives me pause is the alarm that sounds, accompanied by a delay in beginning to spin, every time he starts the lathe turning (I'll have to rewatch the video to see exactly what the alarm was for). It seemed to serve a good purpose, but when starting and stopping often when sanding, he said it was quite an inconvenience. Is anyone with this lathe finding this to be a big inconvenience or just a small one??? Thanks everyone.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Hey Steve, I was reading this as a new post then saw the date. Wow...... Take a moment and think about all the contests entered (and some won) on that lathe. I would say you got a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Hey Steve, I was reading this as a new post then saw the date. Wow...... Take a moment and think about all the contests entered (and some won) on that lathe. I would say you got a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Definitely put some miles on it and, looking back, it was a great deal that I'd do again in a heartbeat. Thanks Garry!