Uses for long walnut crotch feathers?

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Helped a friend mill a black walnut log using my Alaska chainsaw mill last night. The crotch feather on this log is around 40" long. Hoping to get two more boards like this one.

What would you do with crotch feathers this long beside making a table?

Thus board is around 6/4 thick.
9314.jpeg

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
A gallery bench- a long one, that is book-matched length wise. Long harvest table.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Upright for a short bookcase, especially if you have a bookmarked piece for the other side. Headboard/footboard for a bed. Seat for a chair. Wall hanging, just to show off the figure. If it's too wide for wall hanging, cut the width down and carve or sand a faux natural edge. Hang it horizontally and add pegs for a coat rack.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
There is another detail technique for slabs like this which is called a “waterfall fall away”. This surface top will be 36” a.f.f. If I was doing it I would take the other book-match panel by cross cutting each end (beveled). So you basically continuing the grain sequence by using the cut panel so it is continuous, but they act like legs for either ends. This happens at both ends. There usually is a base cabinet or some kind of pedestal with a stretcher in the middle.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I agree with Frank, bookmatched, it would make an awesome pair of cabinet doors..

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for sharing all the great ideas. Now he just needs to find someone with a big planer and/or drum sander when it’s dry. Should the crotch figure be coated with any kind of sealant (I.e. anchor seal) while drying?

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Thanks for sharing all the great ideas. Now he just needs to find someone with a big planer and/or drum sander when it’s dry. Should the crotch figure be coated with any kind of sealant (I.e. anchor seal) while drying?
has a tendency to check- end grain on a flat grained surface-if that makes sense. retard the drying with AS and store in a cool dry dark place and forget it.
Lots of good Ideas. I did a couple coved boxes with crotch going around. Maybe my favorite walnut figure... VERY NICE piece

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
has a tendency to check- end grain on a flat grained surface-if that makes sense. retard the drying with AS and store in a cool dry dark place and forget it.
Lots of good Ideas. I did a couple coved boxes with crotch going around. Maybe my favorite walnut figure... VERY NICE piece
Same experience with checking. That is a BIG box...

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Real nice. I read somewhere here on WB that figure should be sealed during AD. Also watch your direction of planing when dry to prevent tear out. Sanding to final thickness with 60 grit would be much better.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
I would stray away from using those as solid wood for cabinet application, especially on long doors like on armoires. They will cup, twist and will check and crack. That is the main reason why you see veneer application only on period furniture like dining tables, dressers, armoires, other case goods and interior paneling out of crotch wood (mahogany mostly).

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
and if he plans to resaw, do it now. it will dry faster.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
and if he plans to resaw, do it now. it will dry faster.
We have no way to resaw something this wide without using my chainsaw mill again which would cut a very large kerf in the 6/4 board. Sure would be nice to have a bandsaw mill for cutting something like this, but I haven’t convinced my wife on letting me buy one of those yet. For now, I might just offer to put some of the walnut boards in my homemade kiln if I get to keep one for all my trouble.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
We have no way to resaw something this wide without using my chainsaw mill again which would cut a very large kerf in the 6/4 board. Sure would be nice to have a bandsaw mill for cutting something like this, but I haven’t convinced my wife on letting me buy one of those yet. For now, I might just offer to put some of the walnut boards in my homemade kiln if I get to keep one for all my trouble.
I would not put in kiln till at 20%.

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Karl, I am a bad procrastinator. This piece is ready to hang as a wall hanging. It’s looked like this for two years. Just need to add a hanger on the back lol.
Like others have said and I m sure you know let it dry slowly. Good luck bud!

BD04DE50-B813-4383-A833-DD28739134A1.jpeg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
When run as cabinet doors I have always seen solid wood with its checks filled with epoxy and then top bottom and sides coated with epoxy. At 6/4 you are looking at probably 2 years air drying with the last 6 months in the house ( under the bed) because of that crotch figure. If you AS it , then maybe 3 years. Your best off following @Mike1950 instructions, I believe he has the more years of experience in this. I am fresh on the furniture part of this stuff.