Uses for long walnut crotch feathers?

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Karl, I am a bad procrastinator. This piece is ready to hang as a wall hanging. It’s looked like this for two years. Just need to add a hanger on the back lol.
Like others have said and I m sure you know let it dry slowly. Good luck bud!

View attachment 209275
How much is that wall hanger... where is the beg and grovel emoji

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
When run as cabinet doors I have always seen solid wood with its checks filled with epoxy and then top bottom and sides coated with epoxy. At 6/4 you are looking at probably 2 years air drying with the last 6 months in the house ( under the bed) because of that crotch figure. If you AS it , then maybe 3 years. Your best off following @Mike1950 instructions, I believe he has the more years of experience in this. I am fresh on the furniture part of this stuff.
Slow is good. I have wild walnut figure in my credenza. It has flaws. Maybe I can find them maybe. You can fill.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
There is a large gun stocker supplier out west and he has all the crotch slabs air drying in stacks (stickered) under a roof over hang (for shade) and he puts plastic wrap around the crotch section to help retard the checking.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
We have no way to resaw something this wide without using my chainsaw mill again which would cut a very large kerf in the 6/4 board. Sure would be nice to have a bandsaw mill for cutting something like this, but I haven’t convinced my wife on letting me buy one of those yet. For now, I might just offer to put some of the walnut boards in my homemade kiln if I get to keep one for all my trouble.
feel free to send it to vegas, i have a band saw mill and will cut it thinner. no warranty as to results or returns :sofa: