Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Uses for Scrap Wood

Discussion in 'General Woodworking Discussion' started by FranklinWorkshops, Apr 19, 2019.

1. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Larry
    A very creative artist in New York City has been buying boxes of scrap wood from me the last 12 months. Here are two creations he just made. I find his work to be very interesting and he puts a lot of work into them.

with frame 아래쪽.jpg

with frame 왼쪽 측면.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 5
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Arn213

Arn213 craM de la craM # RipJack City! Full Member

First name:
    Arn
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:.........

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  3. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    I think his work is for a narrow band of customers but it sells which proves that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like it and wanted everyone here to see what others see as art.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    I edited it and I don’t think it would be a wise idea. That is not what this community is all about anyway. Art is subjective anyway- I have to respect and acknowledge that you just want to celebrate his work and to show it to the WB community.

It definitely is not a piece that should be hanging (for one it is a safety hazard at standard 5’ sight line) and should be shown horizontally (because it looks like an Architectural site landscape plan model) instead of vertically. But orientation does change it’s visual effect and visual impact.

5. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Not sure why you think this type of art is "not what this community is all about." It is wood, it is a use for stuff we all have laying around and it's as artistic as many turned pieces that are shown here. It is not everyone's taste, for sure, but you won't find anything that shows up here to be in everyone's taste. That's one of the great things about this site... its diversity that is often thought provoking.

I do agree with the safety concerns from it being a wall hanging. But there's safety concerns with most everything we do. I don't think something this obvious will be missed when someone is walking near it, unless they are texting, of course. Then anything can and often does happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kweinert

kweinert Member Full Member

First name:
    Ken
    I, personally, could never make something like this. To me it'd always look like a pile of scrap pieces. My brain just doesn't work that way - it just doesn't fit together for me.

I can, however, see how others could get pleasure from this and enjoy it. Hey, if the artist gets satisfaction from creating it and the buyer enjoys having it in their home - why not?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    I think you misunderstood me Larry or have not explained my self well. What I meant was I did not want to “incite” any criticism that would have negative connotation to the artist and to be fair with him, he is not present here to defend his work. That is what I meant by saying “this is not what the community is all about” in having negative and not constructive feedback, hence why I deleted and edited my remarks about “critiquing” the work because it is open to criticism. Out of respect, I did post the question and ask for permission if “we were allowed to critique”- which I edited and deleted.

It would be different if a member here say asked to critic their work- which a lot here have done, then it is fair game. This instance, I don’t think personally would have been proper.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Okay, now I understand. I didn't originally. My purpose was to expose our members to what others are doing with scrap that we often burn. I didn't ask for any comments or critiques of his work but I knew there would be reactions, of course. If it's anything we do well here, it is to react.

• Like Like x 2
  9. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    I like it! I have been messing with a sorta similar idea for a while now, I have an abundance of random hardwood moldings and trim, I have been trying to arrange small cut pieces in an artful way, still a work in progress.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. phinds

phinds Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Paul
    no waste.jpg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member

First name:
    Herb
    All I know is as soon as I throw out some scrap piece of wood, I will need it 3 days later.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Likewise! Someone did a bunch of these and had them on display in our local art gallery; I assume it is a current passing trend in the "world of art". I felt the same way looking at them there Ken. It was like... "Yeah, that's an interesting pile of scrap there, eh. If that thing's worth that much, I am sitting on a flippin gold mine, with my cut offs/scrap tub.

This type piece doesn't work for me, no matter how long I stare at it. It's not cohesive, there's nothing artsy, there's nothing logical about it, it doesn't have a sense of direction or flow, there is no rhyme or reason to it. I don't even like scrambled eggs.

Oh, I can too, in fact I built a few of these, when I was 5. Could maybe build one now, given enough psychedelic drugs, my scrap tub, and a big bottle of Elmer's glue. I'm pretty sure my mother kept a few of them, for awhile anyhow, but they all eventually found their way into the fireplace, to make room for the newest creation, errrr... work of art. And, somewhere along the way I developed a skill set that prevents me from doing things such as this.

So how much did you pay for those creations Larry?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    The money is flowing in my direction. He paid $35 for the scraps I sent him in a Regional Rate B box. Have sold him 6 boxes so far. Keep in mind, Rocky, that he is in Brooklyn, NY, and you know the artistic values of a large portion of that city's residents. Most have never seen wood like this except on TV. They also buy paintings made using cow dung or elephant poop. See this piece sold at Christie's in NYC for $2.3 million. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/chris-ofili-elephant-dung_n_7470692. My customer sells in art galleries and he must be doing well. He wants three more boxes in June. I love it... $2.50 per lb for scrap wood I used to burn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Oh, I'm proud of you for getting rid of the scrap. Part that concerns me most about that whole deal is, those who will pay $400 - $500 (or more) for something of this nature, are registered and quite likely do vote.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Since he's helping to save the world (which a former NYC bartender says will end in 12 years) by not releasing the CO2 from this wood, he's probably a hero in his community. And I'm helping him so my wife says I'm a hero since she's spending the money.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    I was raised in Brooklyn, New York- trust me when I tell you this Larry, “I know my city, what it was and how it is becoming”. Brooklyn has been a “victim” of “heavy gentrification”:scare3:. My family is still there. People who visit New York or have a “sense” of how it is, is either miseducated, misinformed and has strong misconception of how New Yorkers are how New York functions as a whole. I’ve seen and been in industrial area going back in the 1980’s ridden of drugs, hookers, pimps and the usual suspects with bad vices that made the borough unattractive to people that lived there but made the best of it and push tourist visitors away. Most of those places were loft buildings we’re mostly garment manufacturing has taken place, metal fabrication, body shops, junk yards, coffee brewery, etc.

Fast forward 2001, post 9/11, my borough and my city was heavily exploited. Most of those lofts or warehouse has been rezoned from industrial or business to either multi-use and for mostly residential building! Who resides at those places? Well, definitely people from out of town who buy into the motto of making it in big city of “if I can make it here, I’ll make it anywhere”. Those people who resides in those lofts collectively typically cannot get an apartment in Manhattan because the rent is a lot more expensive, so they end up seeking shelter in the other Burroughs such as Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx that is much more affordable. So they end up in Brooklyn, pooling rent for 3-4 individuals to pay a $ 3K plus to live in a month to month basis. What makes Brooklyn attractive- it is easily only a 17 minutes ride via subway into Manhattan.

You can cite for me here you get that tangle idea of “Rocky, that he is in Brooklyn, NY, and you know the artistic values of a large portion of that city's residents”. There are sections of Brooklyn, that I can drop you off and you will be scared sh*tless about your life and your safety still, so I don’t get where you get that info. from that Brooklyn is a trendy and artistic place. I think you are either very misinformed or have a real big general misconception. See no one gives a sh*t how the other half lives in parts of Brooklyn. They only want to see the shiny and polished good side of it, while they push the lower income people who now cannot afford it. There use to be real genuine Italian Pizzerias owned by Italians at most corners from where I am originally from- you use to get a slice of Cheese and a soda for $ 1.50-2.00. Now and sadly, they started putting up “craft pizza” joints that’s mainly cater to the hipster and the more well to do that price is at least double that. But, trust me, not all of Brooklyn is “glitter and gold” and it is being gentrified and cleaned up just like what they did to Times Square.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    I think you could have done better- you should have told him that I would have like a percentage of the selling price of your piece just like how an Art Gallery operates (30-50 %).

Art works the same way how the financial market works. The financial savy people acquire work that has financial promise and good return trajectory- based on influence reviews by influential people in the art work. Buying high and saying low. Buying art that is in trend and then dumping it when it starts to hits its peak. The whole art think is skewed, sensationalized and over hyped. People who does art for the sake of it never calls themselves as an “Artist” and they let their work speak for themselves. The most impactful artist of our time were never famous when they were living, their work only became relevant when they have passed away.

Everyone in New York wrongfully identify themselves an “Artist” whether you are self educated on a type of art, a hobbyist or actually have a College certificate that states you earned a 4 year degree for your studies and achievement for fine arts. That word is overrated, misused, misinterpreted and abused. The same thing happens with music when someone calls themselves a musician. But, everyone is a photographer just because they know how to work a camera......

• Like Like x 1
  18. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Arn, I'm not attacking Brooklyn or those who live or did live there. All communities have their issues and many are seeing traditional values and relationships with their neighbors erode. What I said, maybe poorly, is that there is a view towards art and what makes it art that seems to be different in cities like NY, LA, SF and others. Example is that painting in the link above. And, just how many people do you know who would pay $100,000 for a white blank canvas with a few streaks of colored paint running across it? Happens all the time in the "art" world. So what you and I and Rocky may view as just a bunch of scrap wood takes on a whole different meaning to people who don't think like we do. Each to his/her own is my motto.

19. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    8F008B03-9826-4E42-93D0-D9D9724A571F.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
Current Time: 6:43 PM