Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Using Milk Paint

Discussion in 'Sanding & Finishing - Woodturning' started by 10x10turning, Apr 25, 2017.

1. 10x10turning

10x10turning Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Steven
    Has anyone used milk paint on there bowls? I picked some up and would like to experiment.... anyone have any advice or tips?

2. duncsuss

duncsuss Trying to turn a little better each day Full Member

First name:
    Duncan
    I haven't used it, but one of the more experimental members of the club I go to has shown a few pieces he's painted. All I'd suggest is testing it out on wood that you haven't put any serious effort into so you can see how it looks.

I think milk paint is water-based, so it might pay to sand, then wet it (to raise the grain) and sand again before you paint it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    I've done a few bowls with it... It's pretty much idiot proof.

Two coats will cover just about anything. It's thick enough that you don't even have to sand if the finish cuts are good.

Any kind of finish darkens the colors quite a bit, so a little test board might be worthwhile.

I mixed my own from powder, and it doesn't last very long once mixed.

There were some really cool pieces done with multiple layers of paint on textured surfaces in one of the last two AAW magazines.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    I've not done bowls, but have done furniture. For furniture I apply a seal coat of dewaxed shellac, 2 to 3 coats of milk paint, 2 coats of Watch Danish Oil (natural), then a coat of paste wax. I like that better than straight milk paint.

5. West River WoodWorks

West River WoodWorks Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    I like to use seafoam green powdered milk paint on cherry. After it dries you can lightly sand back the paint to reveal a coppered patina look.
    I have also seen Allen Stirt use black powdered milk paint on walnut with a similar metallic effect.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Tom

Current Time: 4:45 PM