USPS is on the lookout

manbuckwal

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I tried to mail a flat rate bubble envelope of wood today and it was rejected (my first) because it changed the shape of the envelope dramatically . Evidently a lil bulge is ok but making it into a 2" thick square is not lol. I was showed a USPS dept letter, with a picture and description, telling USPS employees to be on the lookout for such packages . The employee was doing there due diligence, tho I was not happy about it . Will definitely affect how I cut blanks and/or group them . Happy Shipping .............NOT !

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I think I'm going to have my local printer make me up 1000 flat rate envelpoes that are just a little larger. :sarcastic:

Seriously my wood always seems to be a hair larger than whatever I'm trying to stuff in those boxes and envelops. Esepcially the game box. The OD needs to be the ID on thos things and the large should be 6" not 5.5" - but I still have been getting away with putting a 12 x 12 x 6" block in them. I tape the top of the box first, turn it over, and stuff the block in. So far I haven't been gigged on it even though there's a gaping open square on the bottom where I stick a white flap to cover the wood.

But with envelopes there's no where to hide.

Treecycle Hardwoods

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Dang!! I have one i need to drop off today! Hope they don't hassle me. maybe i could slide em a pen or something to let this one go!!

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I have definitely pushed those envelopes to their limits. Wondering what happened to their slogan "if it fits, it ships"?

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Perhaps they've likened overstuffed boxes and envelopes to cellulite and spandex. Some things just shouldn't happen.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Wondering what happened to their slogan "if it fits, it ships"?

If it fits, it ships. Unless we determine it doesn't fit. Or you get a new Postmaster like the new bee-yatch we got in a certain town near Kevin."

I pulled up to the dock one day. like I have been doing since I first started shipping wood and rang the bell. Some lady I had never seen finally opens the door and looks at my boxes, about 8 or 9 of them, and says.

"Aren't these supposed to come to the counter?"

I said :No not when I have this many heavy ones. Look at what she was saying I should have done, walk the path indicated up all those steps from the side of the building.

bonham post officce.jpg

I always walk up 1 or 2 boxes but when I have more than 1 trio's worth of heavy wood booxes I always pull up to the dock on the side of the building. If she changes the policy of allowing us to use the loading dock she in for a fight. She is not a pleasant person either.

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
@Kevin will they not pick that many boxes up? I refuse to go to the PO because it's on the other side of town (near the train tracks.. if that tells you part of my reasoning). I always schedule a pickup and they come and get them.

Treecycle Hardwoods

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Greg
If it fits, it ships. Unless we determine it doesn't fit. Or you get a new Postmaster like the new bee-yatch we got in a certain town near Kevin."

I pulled up to the dock one day. like I have been doing since I first started shipping wood and rang the bell. Some lady I had never seen finally opens the door and looks at my boxes, about 8 or 9 of them, and says.

"Aren't these supposed to come to the counter?"

I said :No not when I have this many heavy ones. Look at what she was saying I should have done, walk the path indicated up all those steps from the side of the building.

View attachment 54743

I always walk up 1 or 2 boxes but when I have more than 1 trio's worth of heavy wood booxes I always pull up to the dock on the side of the building. If she changes the policy of allowing us to use the loading dock she in for a fight. She is not a pleasant person either.
I have never tried the loading dock thing but that really sucks for you. The counter people know me so well they don't even as the specific questions any more. all they say is "just wood?" I say yip and leave no questions asked. My carrier on the other hand.... I would like to strangle that guy. Ever since i got my dog (who remains inside at mail time) he won't go near my door and has left packages out to get wet or in the snow bank....

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Only reason I don't schedule pickups is because my new mail lady is worse than the postmaster if that's possible. I have only had 3 rural mail carriers in the 30 years since I moved back here and they have all 3 been super great people and carriers. But now I got this horrible person who hates her job, hates her customers, hates life I assume, and is universally disliked by everyone on my county road that I have talked to.

Also, scheduling pickups adds another day and I am not always here to hand them to her, and she refuses to get out of her truck because of Cleo even though the lady she replaced (who was a real lady unlike this banshee) assured her she won't bite. I'm telling you she is a certified you-know-what.

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
That sucks. We got a new mail lady a couple months ago. She's great, like the guy before her... Just don't ever let me run in to the lady that filled in for the previous guy before the current lady got the route. When I see her, she asks how my calls are coming along, if I have anything new and exciting to show her, etc. seems genuinely interested in what I make with those heavy boxes she gets to bring up to the door occasionally.

My mail runs at 9am, so packages ship out the same as if I were to take them to the PO. Since I work M-F 8-4, I could t take them down anyways.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
treecycle said:
The counter people know me so well they don't even as the specific questions any more. all they say is "just wood?"

The counter people at Bonham are still good especially one of them that lives on my own road. They never ask me a thing I just plop them down at a closed window (there is always at least one closed one) and leave.

I usually do not even go to Bonham PO I drop off at Ivanhoe. Ivanhoe is a one-gal operation and she is nice. I drop there because it's only about 4 minutes from me, no hassle, and so thus much faster. But there's times I have to drop at Bonham because Ivanhoe closes at 4 and bonham at 4:30 so sometimes I don't get out of the shop until past 4 trying to squeeze in as many shipments as possible that day.

When I am also filling jig orders along with wood orders it's often hair-pulling.

upload_2014-7-2_15-12-37.png

GeauxGameCalls

Reaction score
First name
Elliot
My mail lady and the one that fills in are my aunt and great aunt! Good luck to y'all I even get called when I have a package! :yipee::rofl:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I'll give you an example of why she is so despised by her customers. My shop is exactly 225 feet from the road. When she has something too big for the box, she will only pull halfway down my drive - she makes me walk out to her truck every time. The evil witch just sits their and watches me walk to her - sometimes hobble when my arthritis is flared up, Even when she has to deliver boxes of boxes and I order a lot. She just piles them out of the back of her truck on the ground and I have to get the tractor once she leaves and fill the bucket up and drive them to the shop. She does this to everyone on her route that has long drives like mine.

myshop.jpg

In addition, she honks her horn every few seconds if you don't magically appear the first time. I asked her sub who delievers on weekends - who is a wonderful lady - what this witches home life was like. She said "Well she isn't married and is looking for a husband so she can quit work". not a single epmloyee at the post office likes her either. I want to send her the lnk to farmersonly.com so she might get married and quit, but I just don't have the heart to think some poor bastard would fall for her and lead a miserable life once he saw the shrew for who she really is.

I guess I have ranted enough. Hey I jjust got a package from MArcus in a flat rate bubble envelope (it was in the mailbox thankfully didn't have to deal with her today) . . . . It's a BLOCK! I took a pic before I opened since it was relevant to this thread anyone want to see it?

Last edited:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Just in from the land of the sun (what's Arizona motto?)

marcus1.jpg

marcus2.jpg

And just cause I know y'all'll ask . . .

marcus3.jpg

:treehugger:

woodintyuuu

Reaction score
First name
cliff
sounds like yu guys are in the same war i am, I used that line before on my postmaster "if it fits it ships, she said her interpretation and mine were quite different.
They were and are! , i asked here for her bosses ph# and then the next one above, they musthave called her out cause she backed off a bit and tried to make peace. Somewhat. I live in bumbledink more deer and bear than postmen for sure. OH a good little fact, my driver would not pick up my pkgs from my rather large mailbox i complained to the postmaster who is of course management, come to find out the drivers are union, and get this ARE PAID $.25 CENTS per pkg
yu click to have picked up if they arent clicked and they are in your rather lare mailbox or along your driveway or any other reason they dont get the beloved quarter, My Postmaster went to heavy bat for me on that dispute, i have a very long driveway also, sometimes i didint click in time for the days shipping and got
the wait I would leave a note in my mailbox asking the driver to come to shop and get pkgs , he esentially said ________ off. He does come down my dway now though.!! again if i were a casual shipper it would be one thing , but i am a high volume shipper who spends quite a nice pile of coin per year on shipping,
in my world i should get bonus miles or somethin besides a hassle , thanks for letting me rant cl

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Y'all are lucky to have delivery to and pick up from your house. We don't have that here in our town of 400... However, the guy who works at the post off and the lady who fills in when he's not there are both very nice people and good to talk to. Haven't had any problems with out post office yet!

Except now there's talk of possibly closing it...

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I haven't had an issue yet but I suppose that once I do instead of padded envelopes I'll have to go MFRB instead. We were lucky they didn't close our PO with the last round of cuts. Who knows how long we'll keep it. That would suck because we don't even have a rural route here, I suppose I'd have to drive down to the next town to get my mail every day.