USPS Postal Delays

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Following note was on top of Woodpeckers E-mail to me this morning:
PLEASE NOTE: The United States Postal Service is currently experiencing extreme delays. Plan on at least 30 day transit times if you choose any USPS service.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
JMO- I think this is not very accurate. I have one package that is finally moving- been 20 days. all others were delivered. I stopped shipping about the 18th. at least with USPS. did they get overwhelmed - sure did at least in parts of country. but I think they are rapidly catching back up.
if you look at last years shipping volume and this years I would bet there is a huge increase- 50% maybe. fed ex and UPS adjusted- private enterprise. USPS= Government. Not in the description to adapt quickly...

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
It is getting better, tools that were shipped Dec 7 are finally moving and I should have them in a couple of days. That is from Ohio to Illinois!

I ordered something else from a different place in Ohio and they were shipped Dec 29, and they'll be in the mail today.

Another item shipped from Oregon on Dec 29, and it is also arriving today, although it is coming FedEx.

So, FedEx can ship halfway across the country the same time USPS can get it moved two states.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am still awaiting a package that was shipped to me on 12/18. Most definitely slower than usual! Chuck

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
A few days ago I made an Amazon order expecting expecting the delivery in serval days. That night the door bell rang at about 8:00 and I got to the door in time to see what appeared to be a Subaru pulling out of the driveway. The person delivered the order I placed that morning. My stuff was loose in a plastic grocery bag. Never had anything like that happen before. The closest Amazon distribution center is about 120 miles away. Now that is service.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I’m still waiting on stuff that was shipped 12/15/20. And people want the government to run healthcare.:bad:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
They still don't have things figured out. Finally got my tools, but ordered some blanks last week, shipped day after ordering, now they've been sitting in Indianapolis for 4 days. Tracking tells me they are delayed, but "in transit" even though they haven't left Indy. Indiana to Illinois is normally one day shipping.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Finally received my shipment yesterday. Took 24 days from Pennsylvania to California! That's like stage coach timing! Chuck

janamacon

Reaction score
First name
Joan
I have one package that is finally due to arrive - it's been 20 days. It's been 20 whole days. That's a very long time. Luckily I can track it since there is (admin edited out spam) And I can know where my package is. But I don't know what is taking so long. Finally got my tools, but I ordered some blanks last week. They shipped a day after ordering, now they've been sitting in Indianapolis for 4 days. Tracking tells me they are delayed but "in transit" even though they haven't left Indy yet. Shipping from Indiana to Illinois usually takes one day.

Last edited by a moderator:

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I have one package that is finally due to arrive - it's been 20 days. It's been 20 whole days. That's a very long time. Luckily I can track it since there is (admin edited out spam) And I can know where my package is. But I don't know what is taking so long. Finally got my tools, but I ordered some blanks last week. They shipped a day after ordering, now they've been sitting in Indianapolis for 4 days. Tracking tells me they are delayed but "in transit" even though they haven't left Indy yet. Shipping from Indiana to Illinois usually takes one day.
You resurrected a somewhat dated thread. Shipping is never without issues these days but mostly normal around here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I have had always a great run from them, except last week. Both priority mail- it involved a package shipped to me from the Big Island and another packaged I shipped to one of the fine member here. They weren’t just standard woods and both were for musical instruments. Let us just say the one from the Big Island notified me it was delivered, but it was not in the place it was suppose to be. I had to chase it and inquire with the post office- they called the the router and he said he rang the bell and no one answered, so he left it at the vestibule. Well, I was home and they did not hear a bell. The router one time left the same size package outside of the vestibule! The postal clerk told me that my package appears to be stolen and have your sender file an insurance claim. Let’s just say I personally recovered it in the most inconspicuous places and the wood was ripped out of the box and left to tan! I came back to the same postal clerk to show him the evidence- he spoke to their supervisor and told me they have a plan to how to handle it; he gave me the postal police number should I chose to report it. This is one of the biggest negative about living in the city.

The second one that I shipped to a member here sat on my post office without any progress scan for 4 days and all of a sudden it got a scan on a deliver date which was Saturday- couldn’t deliver because their office was close and it said they were going to redeliver next business day. I insured it and ask for a signature just because you never know what can happen- I rather not. Didn’t get any notification yesterday that it was out for delivery- but about 4:30 pm I get notification that it is being held at the recipient local post office and it was being held for pick-up, requested by the customer! Well, I definitely did not request for that! It looks like it is their standard “blanket statement” when they try to deliver once and then the recipient has to pick-up at their local post office. I don’t think they even left a slip for pick up after the first delivery for customer pick-up.

I did get good news and closure early this morning for the second package and our member recipient messaged me and told me they delivered it next door yesterday afternoon and his neighbor brought the package($) to him this morning. I am so relieved, but at the same time I don’t understand what the post office left and right is doing because they are two contradictory things- the website notification said “available for pickup”, but they delivered it yesterday Monday to a neighbor of his. I asked for a signature and paid for that service for a reason because of instances like this. I am now patiently waiting for an email notification as I am curious what the “actual status” of this package is.

All in all both were close calls and I got lucky this time around that the “cards were on my side”. It does leave me an uneasy faith in our delivery system at the moment and though this could be an isolated incidence as I have to keep in mind for the most part in the past decades, they always have come through.

Last edited:

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
My mailman is GREAT! I gift him with apple, pumpkin and peach butter all the time. He appreciates it. If I have a pick-up and I'm home, I carry it down to him so he doesn't have to climb the steps. I saw him the other day and told him I had 9 heavy boxes but I took them to the post office so he wouldn't have to load them and fill his small SUV up. He said he could have done it and that I didn't need to but I don't mind. Even his fill-in is pretty good. Now I can't say about once it goes on the truck at the post office but I have a stand up mailman!