Vacuum Equipment options

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If u start to see spider cracking after a few cycles please be cautious.

OH, wow, that DOES look like a crime scene. Hope no one was hurt. I truly appreciate the advice and that was and will continue to be my plan. Use it as long as it appears no issues and at the first sign of any cracks, fissures, spider cracks whatever.....purchase the glass lid. Thanks and be safe out there.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
John, the spider web cracking is commonly referred to as "crazing" and juice coming in contact with the lid IS NOT necessary for the lid to craze. I have a 10 gallon BVV pot with Acrylic lid and crazing commenced on that one along about the second time I used it. It had nothing anywhere near the lid, I had several glad lunchmeat dishes in the bottom of a 10 gallon pot, stabilizing pen blanks. The fumes are enough to cause the problem with the acrylic lid crazing. That being said however, it has yet to implode, and still seals amazingly well several years later, however the acrylic lid on the 10 gallon pot exceeds 1" thick.

Like you, if/when it ever implodes, I'll replumb through the side of the tank, and replace with a glass lid.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Rocky, appreciate your real life experience as well. I haven’t got my feet wet yet but hope to in the next few months.