Vacuum pump problems! Help please

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Iā€™ve also burnt up two toaster ovens this last one was a close call I just happened to go out to get some stuff from the freezer another 2-5 minutes and I would have had my house on fire so needless to say Iā€™m also looking for a lab oven and that can get a little confusing/ overwhelming with all the possibilities available on the market. May I ask which one you went with ?
Robert, if you guys have a college or university nearby that has any kind of medical classes, they might have a department that sells old lab equipment like vacs, fridges, and other stuff that might help in your endeavors.
We have one here that some of the stuff is pretty interesting. I have seen a lot of vacuum stuff from a pump to a whole cabinet designed for the vac process. ................... Jerry (in Tucson)

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Thanks Colin. Any tips on how, or is that on the Turn-Tex site?
I don't recall if it's in his site. I test older resin first in a little dish, bake it and see if it sets. If it doesn't, I have some spare catalyst, I mix it into a pint of fresh cactus juice, then calculate out how much of that to add to the volume of old resin. It seems to work fine but I'd honestly reach out to Curtis, I went by guess and by gosh and it worked fine so until it doesn't, I'll still do it. Your mileage may vary....

Turnedaround

Reaction score
First name
Robert
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Robert, if you guys have a college or university nearby that has any kind of medical classes, they might have a department that sells old lab equipment like vacs, fridges, and other stuff that might help in your endeavors.
We have one here that some of the stuff is pretty interesting. I have seen a lot of vacuum stuff from a pump to a whole cabinet designed for the vac process. ................... Jerry (in Tucson)
Thank you I will look at the different school in this area and see what they have

Turnedaround

Reaction score
First name
Robert
I don't recall if it's in his site. I test older resin first in a little dish, bake it and see if it sets. If it doesn't, I have some spare catalyst, I mix it into a pint of fresh cactus juice, then calculate out how much of that to add to the volume of old resin. It seems to work fine but I'd honestly reach out to Curtis, I went by guess and by gosh and it worked fine so until it doesn't, I'll still do it. Your mileage may vary....
Thank you for sharing

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
@Mike Hill i got lucky on an old analog on the auction. $50 and 15 miles on rural roads. Shipping would have been $60 or more if I recall. Little, but heavy.

With no vacuum applied thereā€™s no closing so I use a loose bar clamp. Have thoughts of a more elegant solution, but not an elegant 102 year old basement.

Dental labs often have old good ovens too, with no vac but do have mechanical latches. New ones are digital and more money, but I only need 2 temps 220f to dry and 190 to cure.

edit to addā€”got curious so looked up the specsā€¦8ā€ x 12ā€ x 8ā€ and weighs 42 pounds. Now I remember why I never move it. Little more mass than a toaster oven!!

Vac Oven 1.jpg

VacOven2.jpg

Last edited:

Turnedaround

Reaction score
First name
Robert
@Mike Hill i got lucky on an old analog on the auction. $50 and 15 miles on rural roads. Shipping would have been $60 or more if I recall. Little, but heavy.

With no vacuum applied thereā€™s no closing so I use a loose bar clamp. Have thoughts of a more elegant solution, but not an elegant 102 year old basement.

Dental labs often have old good ovens too, with no vac but do have mechanical latches. New ones are digital and more money, but I only need 2 temps 220f to dry and 190 to cure.

edit to addā€”got curious so looked up the specsā€¦8ā€ x 12ā€ x 8ā€ and weighs 42 pounds. Now I remember why I never move it. Little more mass than a toaster oven!!

View attachment 231578

View attachment 231579
Thatā€™s very neat thank you for sharing

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike

View attachment 231578

View attachment 231579
Yup, that Precision Scientific is the one I'm trying to find. For a good portion of my career, I've built hospitals and other medical facilities. Over the decades, I have been able to obtain many things medical surplus - but never a vacuum oven. A sterilizer, but not a vacuum oven. Most useful things I've had were mobile IV stands (great for hanging flexible shaft machines from), mobile Stainless steel tables (great for holding tools and parts while working on a project - I used one to hold turning tools next to my lathe), and stainless stools on wheels (great for making your inner pig go wheeeee!!!). Unfortunately, reality hit, and I realized I needed more room to hoard wood and got rid of most. I have kept a lab oven, (non vacuum). Prior to the days of the automatic, electric smokers, I was gonna install some sort of smoke generator on it, and cook me some briskets. However, prior to actually installing the smoke generator, the Bradleys appeared and I opted for that. I need to get it down from the attice and use it for drying out wood and stabilizing. The most notable thing I had my guys scrounge was a whole bunch of lead lining from an x-ray suite in the basement of a local hospital. We took it to a recycler and made good money. Told the Super to set up two bbq lunchs for all the workers (usually 200 to 400 workers) on the project. Had one at topping out (that one was delayed because we had a fire that burned all the formwork for the roof slab) and one at substantial completion that we also invited the administration and the E.R. Department (we had to disrupt their area a number of times!).

Turnedaround

Reaction score
First name
Robert
Yup, that Precision Scientific is the one I'm trying to find. For a good portion of my career, I've built hospitals and other medical facilities. Over the decades, I have been able to obtain many things medical surplus - but never a vacuum oven. A sterilizer, but not a vacuum oven. Most useful things I've had were mobile IV stands (great for hanging flexible shaft machines from), mobile Stainless steel tables (great for holding tools and parts while working on a project - I used one to hold turning tools next to my lathe), and stainless stools on wheels (great for making your inner pig go wheeeee!!!). Unfortunately, reality hit, and I realized I needed more room to hoard wood and got rid of most. I have kept a lab oven, (non vacuum). Prior to the days of the automatic, electric smokers, I was gonna install some sort of smoke generator on it, and cook me some briskets. However, prior to actually installing the smoke generator, the Bradleys appeared and I opted for that. I need to get it down from the attice and use it for drying out wood and stabilizing. The most notable thing I had my guys scrounge was a whole bunch of lead lining from an x-ray suite in the basement of a local hospital. We took it to a recycler and made good money. Told the Super to set up two bbq lunchs for all the workers (usually 200 to 400 workers) on the project. Had one at topping out (that one was delayed because we had a fire that burned all the formwork for the roof slab) and one at substantial completion that we also invited the administration and the E.R. Department (we had to disrupt their area a number of times!).
I found a few on eBay last night around $800-900 there was a few for under $200 but was considered parts for what ever reason.