Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Veneer Question

Discussion in 'Veneering' started by Schroedc, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Colin
    Ok, so I took on a project that's outside my normal line of work, I need to replace veneer on the back of a piece of furniture and I could use some advice on what adhesive to use. Any suggestions or advice from those that have been there?

2. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    I used contact cement for the few times that I have had to do it. Held up for a few years. I'd be interesed in knowing more from others experiences....

3. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    I think it depends on application- I think unibond-800 is a good one. Hide glue is another. I have found that the titebond veneer glue takes forever to dry in a big glue up.

4. NYWoodturner

NYWoodturner Wood Spinner Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Scott
    Hide glue is what I have had the best results with, but I have not used many other options with veneer and that may not be the widest view to consider or your answer.

5. HomeBody

HomeBody Member Full Member

First name:
    Gary
    The few veneer jobs I've done I just used Elmers aliphatic resin wood glue. That was 20 yrs ago and no lifted corners yet. Gary

• Like Like x 1
  6. chicago

chicago Member Full Member

First name:
    Phillip
    I am way late to this party, but here is some info someone may find useful.

How did you get the old veneer off? Perhaps the veneer was completely missing when you got the project? For veneer work I do not think hot hide glue (HHG) can be beat. Here is a video you may find helpful.

Hope your project went well.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Colin
    It was mostly gone and a scraper took the rest of it off. I ended up using a contact cement for veneer that our local store had available and I used paper backed veneer. So far it's holding up really well and the customer is still happy!

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 6:24 PM