Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Veneered Complex Curve box Build Thread

Discussion in 'Veneering' started by cabomhn, Aug 20, 2014.

1. cabomhn

cabomhn Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Matt
    @justallan Thanks for the kind words! When I got into this project, I never new it was going to take me multiple months to complete and that I would have to do a lot of the things that I've worked through so far. This type of project is fun to me because each step along the way it's a small challenge that you have to make some sort of jig for, or just generally figure things out. This type of project is a test a patience more than anything, because rushing any particular step could be a really bad turn for the project! Lol

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    And just to show the effect that adding the little inlay lines has, this is mostly what would be seen upon opening the box lid.

IMG_1488.JPG

It's subtle, but I think the lines break up the redwood burl everywhere and help make the piece more put together looking. This will help "frame" the inserts later on, as to not catch the attention quite as much when the lid is opened.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. NYWoodturner

NYWoodturner Wood Spinner Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Scott
    Your right Matt - it does break it up and makes a really nice accent. I'm continually amazed my friend!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Looking great, for a first veneer project, your execution is amazing, some very advanced stuff your doing. Keep that patience when it comes to setting the hinges, I find they are really tricky to get perfect... and a perfect box is what you have going...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    The hinges I am installing this time around are a very simple hinge. They are the "smart hinges" from Andrew Crawford, a business owner in the UK. They are super easy to install so I'm hopefully it will be a smooth process. But i'll definitely document it as the time comes!

6. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    I just checked em out, don't let your guard down, you can screw those up too:sarcastic:don't mean to be a bummer, just sayin' hinges have been my nemisis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    Oh I understand! I think I posted about this but last time I tried to install the infamous quadrant hinges on my mom's jewelry box and man, that was a MISTAKE. Those are so hard to install lol. I just about messed up her box trying to install those and to this day, they still don't move "just" right. Once I get them on I plan on putting up a review here about the hinges. So far dealing with Andrew in emails has been great and he's been really helpful, so from a customer service standpoint I have no complaints at all :ok:

8. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    So last night going into today I started working on the edge banding portion of the project. The first step is to remove the veneer layer, in the thickness of the edge banding plus the inlay lines on either size of any edge. This got tricky working on some of the sides but the general process was to mark things with a sharp marking gauge, then sever the grain the rest of the way with a sharp xacto knife before removing with a chisel, sharp definitely being the key thing here.

IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG

The bottom is obviously not veneer but I still need to make the location for after removing the main chunk so I can create the grove for the inlay lines later. I keep on working around the box and now, all the necessary veneer is removed except for the front. Figuring this aspect out is going to be a challenge and I'm still figuring out how to mark up everything.

IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG

It's definitely been a nerve racking process working through this. Every cut I just have to be very careful not to slip and scar up the veneer. I did have one little mess up but hey, with all of this cutting one little mistake is not the end of the world! Hopefully I'll figure out some way to mark up the front of the box and get that going. After, it'll be time to cut out the main corners for the banding.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 6
  9. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    Well I did the front tonight, it was a serious challenge! I firstly had the realization that if I flipped around the marking tool I could use it as a much smaller radius. Revolutionary I know lol.

IMG_1222.jpg

So I was able to use a combination of this tool and free handing the cuts with a knife to get a pretty consistent offset from the edge. After the veneer was severed I went in with a quarter inch chisel and slowly chipped away at it. Thankfully there weren't any slip ups and I was able to take my time with it!

IMG_1501.JPG

It actually came out really clean in the end. It looks a little wonky on that left curve there but I think a shaving is just sitting there because it's smooth in real life. At this point all of the veneering edging has been cut and the next step will be to start cutting out the edge banding slots. This will definitely be one of the most challenging portions of this project since the front and the box will be done completely by hand. Thanks for looking! I really can't wait to have this project done. My girlfriend is looking forward to it being done as well, lol.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NYWoodturner

NYWoodturner Wood Spinner Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Scott
    Fantastic progress Matt. I can't wait to see the next steps. I am learning a ton on this thread.

11. kris stratton

kris stratton Member Full Member

First name:
    kris
    look forward to watching this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    Well I went to my pastors shop today with the intent of setting up the router table and doing 7 of the main edge banding cuts. He hadn't used his router table for quite a while and while trying to set it up, both fences he had for it weren't exactly "straight" and overall the table had numerous issues that wouldn't make it suitable for the detail I need on this project. So at this point, the only option was to do it by hand, which is a good thing and bad thing. It's good, because you have less of a chance to make a single mistake and ruin your project, but it's bad that it's going to take so long, lol. But anyway, I did get a good start on my process. It's slightly tricky with the plywood because the grain changes direction for each layer but it worked out.

The first thing was marking where the cut needed to start. I used my marking gauge and got the initial cut nice and deep to make sure that I had a good separation and clean edge. Then, working on the "end grain" side of the ply wood I pared away a little at a time making sure to separate the grain each time so it didn't tear our the 90 degree corner. I kept doing this until the slot was the same depth on both sides. I think took the double-cut file and cleaned up the corner of the slot.

IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG

There's nothing revolutionary here, but it definitely is time consuming to get these lines nice and tight which is absolutely crucial to have the inlay lines look right between the veneer. I did a little dry fit just as a check and I think that it will work.

IMG_1569.JPG

Looks pretty good I think! I'm happy with the selection of the inlay line colors and the size of the boxwood. It's a little larger than some people do but for me this time it makes the work a little easier and I think it's still an appealing amount for the box. After about 20-30 more cuts like this, I should be on my way to finish the woodworking portion on this box!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  13. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    Got a couple more of the "rabbets" cut today for the other box corner and the long bottom edge. After cleaning the grooves with a file I figured I would add the inlay lines as I go just to break up the monotony of chisel work. I'm probably going to have to wait on the boxwood pieces until I can get back to the school's shop and get a good jig for the belt sander in order to make sure I have good miters for the 3 way meet up on the corners. Just a couple pics for the night but I'm really looking forward to seeing how things start coming together in the coming weeks.

IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 4
  14. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    Well since my last post I've finished up all of the slot cutting for the edge banding with the exception being the shaped front for the lid and for the very base. I just now am starting to work on the lid front section but I figured I would post a couple shots of where I'm at now. I did all the matching corner slots for the lid, then I did the arched slots, which were a little tricky, and then I did the back section. The back section of the lid will be a little tricky because the size of the banding will have to be a little bigger than the rest in order to make up for the curve on the top.

Here's the back...
    IMG_1662.JPG

You can see some of the imperfections in the veneer layer between the top and the bottom, that was my mistake in having a veneer layer there and something I didn't completely think through, but I won't make the same mistake again in the future. Once I patch it up with a wood paste and sand it it won't be nearly as noticeable. However, the corner slots line up very nicely.

Here's a side pic..
    IMG_1663.JPG

One thing you'll notice about the veneer on the sides, is that it isn't a "perfect" bookmatch, in the sense the the veneer is mirrored across the seam between the lid and the base instead of continuous. This was because when I was starting the veneering early on, I forgot about the lid for the sides and I ran out of veneer room in the match for the lid, so this seemed like the best option.

Here's just a pick of the corner with the side rail cut in view...
    IMG_1664.JPG

You can see here, that the inlay line here, the rightmost of the two, doesn't line up between the main box and the drawer. This was just a mistake in the setting up of the project and is something I would plan better the next time. But, the arched slot come out really nicely and you can see that I've just started chipping away at the shaped-front slots for the banding. Hopefully I'll get that done tonight and then I'll get the inlay lines glued in for the lid top and the front section of the lid. Thanks for looking!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 6
  15. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    Great work Matt! I cant wait to see this with a finish on it, it's truly beautiful.:good::ok:

16. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    Incredible work, Matt.
    Thanks for the updates.

17. cabomhn

First name:
    Matt
    Well since the last post I got a lot of work done! I know it's hard to explain why this takes so long but it took me multiple hours to cut out the slots for the shaped front, and ANOTHER multiple hours to get the inlay lines glued in there nicely. So here is where I was at for the bulk of the front lines.

IMG_1665.JPG

You can see that the line remaining is probably not going to bend right around without snapping the wood, so this time I needed to steam the wood, then separate the inlay lines into three pieces all of the way until just before the edge so it didn't all fall apart. After that, I lined up the wood and made the cut on the edge closest to the front, then reglued the three layers and while that was still wet, I secured the inlay line to the box itself with tape, not pictured here. Here's the "pot" i used to boil the water lol. Its actually just a copper measuring cup but it got the job done.

IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG

The lines are still slightly "wet" but the water actually helps the glue cure stronger, from what I've read on a couple different sites so it won't be a bad thing for the glue up. Here's just a few pics with them all installed.

IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG

So far I'm super happy with how it comes out. The lid wasn't exactly positioned on top of the box carcass but the lines in fact DO lineup with the box, and are only off for the drawer. The last major challenge on this box is the shaped bottom, but at least the curves are only on 2d and not 3 which makes the cutting a little easier. More pics to come!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 5
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
  18. Aurora North

Aurora North Member Full Member

First name:
    Yusuke
    This is sick dude. Really nice work so far.

19. dycmark

dycmark Member Full Member

First name:
    Mark
    I am speechless (and that NEVER HAPPENS!!)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wilson's Woodworking

Wilson's Woodworking Member Full Member

First name:
    Danny
    Waiting with baited breath for the next set of pictures!:sofa:
    I can't wait to see this finished!:good:

Current Time: 1:01 PM