Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Veneering tape

Discussion in 'Veneering' started by El Guapo, Jul 18, 2015.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Andrew
    I was at my local woodcraft today and they had some veneer tape marked way down. I've never heard of it and certainly never used it. The guy said it worked great, but my general rule is never to trust anything anyone says who is trying to sell me something. It is essentially just double-sided tape. Has anyone had any experience with it? Experience tells me not to take short-cuts.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/158835/Avery-6-x-50'-Ultra-Bond-Peel-and-Stick-Tape-Roll.aspx

2. El Guapo

El Guapo Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Andrew
    Note, this is not the veneering tape used to pull edges together… this is to affix the veneer to the substrate.

3. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    I could see maybe with paper backed veneers but I'd wonder about long term durability. Wouldn't want to try with any really crazy veneers without paper backs.......

4. El Guapo

First name:
    Andrew
    The guy at woodcraft said that it was for raw wood. I really don't know how much he was just trying to sell me on it… I didn't get the feeling that he had any firsthand knowledge. And I'm having trouble finding much information about it online.

5. tocws2002

tocws2002 Member Full Member

First name:
    -jason
    No experience with it at all, but it might be okay for cabinet panels or something. Not sure I would use it on a real project before testing it on some scrap.

What was the clearance cost? If it were cheap enough (i.e. nearly free:good2:), I probably would have bought some to give it a try.

-jason

P.S. If you get some and want some plain veneer to try it on let me know as I have plenty.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    I use double sided tape a lot for template routing, etc. If it was strong enough, I would use the heck out of it, you should buy some and let us know:drinks:

7. El Guapo

First name:
    Andrew
    They normally sell it for $59.99, on sale for $31.34. Of course I just checked Amazon and they have it for $23.92 with free two-day shipping (prime). I'll pick some up and give it a try. Now to come up with a project!

Current Time: 4:47 PM