Vintage Powermatic 66 - Purchase, Restoration and Shop Build

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A bit more organization complete last night and it’s starting to look like a shop! The wood rack is one of the bora racks that woodcraft sells. Overall it seems pretty nice, but I don’t think I will load it quite as full as it’s rated for. Will be perfect for storing wood project to project but won’t be able to store a stash!

Next I got the Paulk smart bench hanging from the wall. Hoping that when I don’t have any large projects that I can leave it stowed easy to save space.

2B9AD20F-A08A-4CBA-B659-1878FBA75DDF.jpeg

Now, just waiting on some decals and the table saw will be well on its way to completion, then on to the parks! I got a sand blasting setup to help with the paint preparation since there a lot more parts to work with unlike the saw.

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Finally an update on the restoration. The decal took nearly two weeks to arrive from New Jersey but finally got it in and got it installed. I laid out the bottom edge with painters tape to try to center it as best as possible to the front “Powermatic” plate, at least where it will go. This is a vinyl decal that goes on wet and you have to squeegee out the excess water. All in all it went pretty well and it’s probably about as good as it would have come stock.

The paint took about 3 coats to get it just right with no (major) drips anywhere obvious. The rustoleum enamel I used was pretty good, but not enough paint and it left a textured finish. Too much paint and you got a drip. Honestly for the rest of the restoration projects, I think I’ll buy a HVLP gun from harbor freight and give those a go to hopefully make the process easier.

51F4D7E2-9D13-4677-B8DF-E43F16F4952B.jpeg

Up next I need to get the clear coat on, and then I’ll move on to getting the motor cover painting finished. Hopefully have this done in about a week! Next machine in the shop will be a vintage rockwell drill press I won at a local liquidation action. This is supposed to be in functional shape but I expect some level of restoration will be done on that one as well.

Last edited:

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Not an update to the restoration, but another tool added to the shop! Thankfully this one was local and in pretty good shape. It will still need a bit of work to get going, but I will stow this in the back until the other projects are completed. One thing for sure is that I will definitely need a mobile base for this guy. Not sure how much it weighs but it’s a rock solid saw.

E05DA2A8-DD46-49EA-AAA9-52D7C3361344.jpeg

Thursday I’ll pick up the vintage rockwell press from a local auction and with that the tools will pretty much be set for the shop minus a sander. Will be making sawdust in no time!

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Not an update to the restoration, but another tool added to the shop! Thankfully this one was local and in pretty good shape. It will still need a bit of work to get going, but I will stow this in the back until the other projects are completed. One thing for sure is that I will definitely need a mobile base for this guy. Not sure how much it weighs but it’s a rock solid saw.

View attachment 193575

Thursday I’ll pick up the vintage rockwell press from a local auction and with that the tools will pretty much be set for the shop minus a sander. Will be making sawdust in no time!
Nice! what size are the wheels?

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Garage is filling up! This is the last thing for a while until I get a chance to finish up my machine restoration backlog. Physically this thing is a little rough, but functionality everything seems in good working order. Hopefully this will be the least intrusive restoration out of the bunch and lots of holes being drilled in my future :good2:

4E61C3C9-F3CE-4A64-978F-CE1EAF4C7D86.jpeg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Very cool stuff Matt, for some reason I didn't get any notifications on new post to the thread. Wise choice on the rotary phase converter since you have multiple tools that are 3 phase. Rust oleum is my favorite paint for machines, very durable and oil resistant. Once you get the application figured out it flows out nice. I like that green. Nice score on the tools too! Be sure to post your restorations no matter how big or small, it shows others that it can be done and encourages them to do so. I like to show mine so others can learn from my work too.
Great job Matt. :good2: :cool:

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Very cool stuff Matt, for some reason I didn't get any notifications on new post to the thread. Wise choice on the rotary phase converter since you have multiple tools that are 3 phase. Rust oleum is my favorite paint for machines, very durable and oil resistant. Once you get the application figured out it flows out nice. I like that green. Nice score on the tools too! Be sure to post your restorations no matter how big or small, it shows others that it can be done and encourages them to do so. I like to show mine so others can learn from my work too.
Great job Matt. :good2: :cool:
Thanks! Happy to keep posting the restoration progress. I always find restorations to be a lot of work and usually pretty challenging, but the end result is always worth it.

Between last night and tonight I got the main assembly and trunnions reinstalled. I need to finish painting the hand wheels, but first I want to drill and tap out the handles to replace the plastic ones with a nicer metal one. After that I just have to paint the motor mount bracket and the mount that holds the angle adjustment screw and this restoration will be done.

0E83C126-263C-404E-A028-FFE743FF5DE9.jpeg