Walnut Storage- Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Processing' started by Steve in VA, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Steve in VA

Steve in VA Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Steve
    I got a bunch of walnut two weeks ago, and went back today for another load.

I've sealed it with Anchorseal but would appreciate any advice on longer term storage as there is no way I'll get to rough turn it all right away.

I have it under our deck to keep it out of the sun and covered as much as possible. Would stickers between the pieces help prevent mold, or cause it to dry too quickly?

All tips and tricks are greatly appreciated!!

20200308_121421.jpg

20200308_174803.jpg

20200308_174841.jpg

20200308_174917.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
  2. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Out of the sun is good. Looks like you've already got the pith cut out, which is a necessity. I would certainly sticker it - you will want some ability for airflow to prevent mold and for the wood to dry properly. 3/4" x 3/4" is the size I've usually used for stickers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member Forum Moderator

First name:
    Greg
    I not only seal the end grain but apply the sealant up about an inch or 2 from the ends as well. I dont seal the face so that it can release some moisture.

4. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    Agree with everything above. In my experience, walnut is pretty forgiving to dry, but the sapwood can get pretty muddy/ugly if it stays too wet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rob3232

rob3232 Member Full Member

First name:
    Rob
    Also might consider sealing the crotch areas with a coat or two as it tends to check a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Bring it to me and I'll store it!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Steve in VA

First name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Except maybe for Eric's! Hey @Eric Rorabaugh, I'll be down at the Appomattox Buckingham Forest at the end of April. I can bring you some if that's a convenient area for you?

8. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    Depending on when, I may be able to run up. It's only about 2.5 hours. I used to be assigned to Appomattox County and patrolled the forest. You recreating or working?

9. Steve in VA

First name:
    Steve
    Spring turkey trip with a buddy of mine.

I wasn't sure if that was an area you covered or not.

10. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    Not anymore. And I don't need the walnut. You able to get away pretty easily?

11. Steve in VA

First name:
    Steve
    Not as often as I'd like to, but I get down that way at least twice a year; once for spring turkey and one during the bow season.

I wish I could get down there more, or had access to property that's closer. Been going down there for many years though and have a few friends in the area from college....VA Tech

12. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    I'm about an hour south of VT on 81.

13. Otterhound

Otterhound Member Full Member

First name:
    Richard
    Mold prefers these 3 things .
    Moisture , still air and darkness . Below 22%-25% moisture content , mold has trouble taking hold . Sticker it or stand on end and put a fan or fans on it until the moisture drops to the safe level . Keep your eyes on the wood and should mold appear , wipe the affected areas with naphtha and reset as before . This is a waiting game . If your temps remain at or below 45 degrees F , mold tends to not form . For myself , I would not store any wood that I don't want spalted or plain rotted under a deck . You're better off putting it in an attic . If you are going to stack it , stickers are a no brainer . Dry wood of the same species is always the best choice . Be prepared to undo the stack , wipe the wood down and restack if it becomes necessary . I see pith in a number of your pieces . Don't worry about that at the point you are at . I have finished and dried walnut with pith in it and it is just fine .

14. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    mold will do nothing to walnut. 90+% of moisture will escape from end grain but that crotch is end grain. Nice wood- keep out of sun- will take years to dry

15. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    PS- not to be an asshat- I always am contrary- but do not put in attic- it will dry too fast. mine is 135 in summer.

16. Steve in VA

First name:
    Steve
    Thanks again!

It's definitely not going in the attic! My back is sore just from cutting it, putting on the Anchor Seal, loading it in the car, unloading it, and hauling it out behind the house and under the deck!!

There are some pieces that still have a pith. I tried to maximize the amount I got from it by cutting out the pith on the larger diameter pieces, and on the smaller sections taking it out on one half and leaving it in on the other. Then there were the pieces that had multiple piths from the crotch on one end and they twisted by the time I got to the other. Lining them up didn't always work out as well as I'd hoped.

I'm learning more and more everytime though!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    Mold certainly can be an issue with Black Walnut . I have lived it and speak from personal experience . The log that you see in my Avatar was milled and stacked in the typical manner at the time . Because the ambient RH remained so high that summer , I was forced to tear down the stack twice because of mold . Of course , Naptha saved the wood . I had fans on this stack for over 2 months and still got mold simply because of the humidity . That stack was below 22% and still got mold activity . Don't make the mistake of disregarding mold because you have Black Walnut .
    My kilns can reach a temp of 120 degrees F . Vacuum kilns function at around 500 degrees F . At this time of year , I doubt that the OP's attic temp will present any issues . Placement under a deck is always a bad choice simply because there are so many better places .
    Smart money wants his wood at or below 22% moisture content as quickly as possible . From there , the process can safely be slowed . Right now , the Walnut that I recently acquired is inside and under fans . The crotch section is also inside waiting . It needed to be removed from where it was and the mill can't take it for at least 2 months . The last thing I want is to have this section intact and out in the sun cooking . Mold and spalting surely will set in if permitted to do so .
    While I am on this subject . With lighter colored woods , if the wood is to be stored outside in log form , do your best to debark the log as allowing the bark to remain can cause staining of the wood inside .

18. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    we do not agree- walnut logs can sit for years with no degrade. a 4-5" thick piece of walnut- there is no hurrying it. walnut dries slow.
    To quote- - Vacuum kilns cause evaporation at low temperatures, but they still require heat ... To do this, we introduce a vacuum which lowers the atmospheric ... One problem - bulbs are not made to run in a vacuum, so if they a
    500 degrees -I think they call that fire....

19. Otterhound

First name:
    Richard
    The high temps require the vacuum . In the absence of oxygen , combustion cannot take place . Vacuum kilns can actually dry ebony for fretboards in weeks , not months or years . Don't care where you got your quote because it is flawed . The Op has cut sections , not logs . Mold is a genuine concern for him .

20. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    :cool:

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 6:57 PM