Walnut to Trade for Rolling Pins

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
@CutterNorth and I are talking about a trade of black walnut turning stock for rolling pins. Here is the walnut I'm offering:

The peppermill blanks have many shades of brown, black and gray. This tree really didn't know what color it wanted to be so it didn't choose. Must have been something going on in the soil to make such beautiful variation of color.

The crotch is a great one but I only skip-planed it to preserve the maximum thickness. Denis, are these good for you?

fullsizeoutput_4dc2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4dc5.jpeg

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the trade is the above walnut shipped to Denis along with four 2 x 2 x 20 billets of curly maple and cherry which Denis will turn into four rolling pins that measure 15 and 18 inches in length and return to me. Denis will post photos of the rolling pins when they are turned.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
you WBites know the rules!!!!

So the trade is the above walnut shipped to Denis along with four 2 x 2 x 20 billets of curly maple and cherry which Denis will turn into four rolling pins that measure 15 and 18 inches in length and return to me. Denis will post photos of the rolling pins when they are turned.
HeHe that's what I was talking about ..... "Pictures are required to satisfy our hunger" !! :yipee:

Last edited:

CutterNorth

Reaction score
First name
Denis
OK Larry,

These are ready to ship back to you. That ribbon maple is amazing even with no finish. Working in thousandths did not make for super relaxing work, but I'm pleased with the results. They are all very close and roll smoothly on a flat surface. I hope these meet your expectations. I'll get these to the post office tomorrow morning.

20200913_130539.jpg

20200913_130633.jpg

20200913_130733.jpg

20200913_130805.jpg

20200913_130939.jpg

20200913_130914.jpg

20200913_131009.jpg

20200913_131033.jpg

20200913_131145.jpg

CutterNorth

Reaction score
First name
Denis
@FranklinWorkshops , The second box with the rest of the walnut was finally delivered today. My local USPS had it in their truck when they delivered your blanks last Friday, but they didn't walk both boxes to the house. Anyway.. I LOVE the walnut. Those pieces are fantastic. My wife has already claimed the crotch piece for a platter. LOL.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I'm shocked that it wasn't all delivered at the same time. The USPS has some really delivery issues these days. Glad you like what I sent.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Denis, the rolling pins were just delivered. Fantastic quality - even better than I had hoped. You are the man!!! We will do some more trading soon, I think.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Denis, the rolling pins were just delivered. Fantastic quality - even better than I had hoped. You are the man!!! We will do some more trading soon, I think.
Awesome. I'm glad you're happy with them. I learned a ton. By the fourth one I had a plan that was working.

Sounds like a partnership developing!! I just love this site!!

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Nice rolling pins and great wood. Curious why the close tolerances on the diameter? I have made a few and when I get something that looks about rite and is uniform I just call it done. Unless of course it it size of a pencil and still don't roll worth crap.:sarcastic:

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Hey Dave,

There was no particular reason for the precision except in my research on commercial pins I found that the two sizes that most people sold were 15 and 18 inches long and 1 ¾ diameter and 1/7/8s diameter. So that was the goal I gave to Denis. I sold the ones he made for me and they went quickly to very happy customers.

I then tried to contact Denis to see if we could do another similar trade but he hasn't been on the site since Oct 1 of last year. I hope nothing bad happened. He was routinely on prior to that.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I made a beast of a roller probably 2 1/2" , gave it to my daughter. She uses it to crush Oreo cookies for a ice cream cake that she makes.