Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
A friend said we could get this tree for free. I think it would be an easy drop, I would climb it and limb it and then we could just drop the trunk. The only thing is I am not 100% on the species. At first I thought it was black walnut, but the leaves are not quite right. There are no nuts on it and all the other walnuts have green nuts right now, the tree is diseased as it has very few and stunted leaves. The pic of the leaves are from another tree on the property that I could get a close up pic of, the trees are the same. I just want to make sure the tree is worth going after before we commit. Pics of leaves, bark, and whole tree.

[attachment=28356]

[attachment=28357]

[attachment=28358]

Sorry about the poor pics, taken with my cell phone.

ResizedImage_1375050993144.jpg

ResizedImage_1375051164941.jpg

ResizedImage_1375051248233.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, so here's the thing, what really has me confused on this one is the tree's on this property all look like walnut but have no nuts, all the other walnuts in this neighborhood all are loaded with nuts. Do all walnuts produce nuts? Is their a mock walnut so to speak? I did a little searching on the interweb but didn't really find anything. I don't want to put a saw to this tree, even though it's dying, if it's not worth anything.

RBcarving

Reaction score
First name
Brad
There are several cultivars of Walnut which are alternate bearing, meaning on/off years of fruit production. About all I have on my property here in MO is Walnut and I can say that trees go through cycles where they will produce very few, if any, nuts.

Looking at your pics, I would agree that the bark, leaves & stature of the tree all point to a Black Walnut. The only concern is that ALL the trees on that property have no nuts ?? I have never seen alternate production nuts where all the trees are on the same "schedule". Although the thin leaf structure could point to an area of disease or soil issue.

If I had to guess, I would say walnut, and certainly some usable lumber (even if it's some other hardwood).

Brad

drycreek

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I look at all trees as having some value and some are pretty than others with that being said I agree it looks like walnut.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
The bark looks right for a walnut about that size, and the leaves are close enough that I have to agree with the others and call it walnut.

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Looks like you are in Michigan. I would think Ohio and Michigan has pretty much the same tree's. So, you could try this site to maybe narrow it down.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/

I'm thinking you got Butternut. But you'll have to do some more investigation.

rdnkmedic

WB Addict
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Cut it down. Send me about half of it. When I get through turning it I will let you know if I have another allergic reaction. If I do, it's walnut. If not, it's not. Problem solved. Ill PM you my shipping address. :drinks: :cool: :lol: :lol: :lol:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
JonLanier said:
Looks like you are in Michigan. I would think Ohio and Michigan has pretty much the same tree's. So, you could try this site to maybe narrow it down.

Looked at some images of butternut.......might be.....either way it would be a good score so I think we'll do the job and keep the wood. My friend found the tree and the job, I'll orchestrate the take down and mill the wood, we'll split the wood, it's what we always do. O boy, I get to play with chainsaws! :yipee::yipee::yipee:
I'm gonna need some new ropes I think.

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon
woodtickgreg said:
JonLanier said:

Looked at some images of butternut.......might be.....either way it would be a good score so I think we'll do the job and keep the wood. My friend found the tree and the job, I'll orchestrate the take down and mill the wood, we'll split the wood, it's what we always do. O boy, I get to play with chainsaws! :yipee::yipee::yipee:
I'm gonna need some new ropes I think.

Don't ya think there ought to be a reward for the identification of Butternut? hmmmm :treehugger:

JR Parks

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Greg,
Slice diagonally through one of the pencil sized twigs-walnut will have a chambered pith- pecans and hickories will have a solid pith. Not having Butternuts around here I do not know if they ail have the same chambers as a black walnut. but a sure way to tell Black Walnut even without leaves.
Jim R

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Either way the tree has to come down, it is dieing. So I guess when I cut the first branch we will know what it is. Even in the descriptions I found online of butter nut it shows the tree having seeds or nuts and none of the tree's on this property have them. The ground is very wet due to all the rain we have had, standing water, maybe the tree's are stressed from to much water or drowning. :dunno: I guess it really doesn't mater what it is, we will figure it out when it's down. In a way I'm kinda hoping it is butter nut as I have never milled or used it, I have walnut. The tree is free, all I have to do is take it down, we can burn the brush on site, the property owner was just happy to get it removed for free! We got the green light to go. We even got a 20 something kid to drag brush. :sarcastic: Sucker :sarcastic:

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Looks exactly like my butternut leaves... Def.. butternut , nice.