Waterfall coffee table

Art Bunch

Reaction score
First name
Art
I picked up a 2" thickX2'wideX60" long live edge slab of Ponderosa pine for free when buying some black walnut from a local supplier so I decided to try my hand with a waterfall table I had seen pictures for online and the end result wasn't too bad at all.
I took 18" off one end at a 45-degree angle then made one more cut she was ready to rejoin itself. I used 1/2 inch dowels(3 sets of 3 spaced evenly apart) to help support the waterfall since it is the leg for that side I wanted it to be strong. Also, the bark is still on the live edge and it is finish nailed on, the supplier said the tree was taken in winter so that will help the bark to stay on.
For the leg on the opposite end, I used pine which is painted to look like metal and is wrapped around the table and rabbeted into the top.
Finally, I finished it with 5 coats of Minwax wipe on poly except for the bark on the live edge which recieved 5 coats of minwax fast drying spray on poly.

20180422_150906 - Copy.jpg

20180422_151002.jpg

20180422_150921.jpg

20180417_145038.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Nice looking table! I was wondering about the dowels you used, and how they are attached to support the waterfall leg. Chuck

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nicely done! I like the way you handled the faux metal leg.

Art Bunch

Reaction score
First name
Art
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice looking table! I was wondering about the dowels you used, and how they are attached to support the waterfall leg. Chuck
Thanks and I used 1/2" dowel and drill holes that were at a 90 to the flat underside of the table but they were drilled into the surface of the 45 and I did 3 sets of 3(only because I have a dowel jig that does 3 at a time). But anyway I added a crude drawing to help ya see it. Thanks again

dowel.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Thanks and I used 1/2" dowel and drill holes that were at a 90 to the flat underside of the table but they were drilled into the surface of the 45 and I did 3 sets of 3(only because I have a dowel jig that does 3 at a time). But anyway I added a crude drawing to help ya see it. Thanks again

View attachment 147633
Thanks! It's what I thought, but just couldn't see any evidence of dowels in the actual photo. Chuck