Wenge

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Hi guys!

I have a Select 8/4 Wenge board that I got at an estate sale a few years ago. It’s near the bottom of my pile, so I don’t currently have pictures to share. But I do have rough dimensions. The board is about 6 feet long, 10 or 12 Inches wide and at least 2 inches thick. The grain is perfect and I’ll never work this board.

my question is, if you had such a board and wanted to part with it, would you try to keep it intact, as is or would you cut it up into square bowl blanks?

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s why I haven’t cut it yet, Larry. I’m just trying to get a feel of what the interest would be. I’ve got a little time to dig it out tomorrow and cut it, if need be. I won’t cut it until I know how the buyer wants it. Thanks for the advice.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
When you dig it out post a picture of the whole thing please. That's something to see!

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Big slabs are a shame to cut down like you mentioned. You will get more money for the size of it whole since its bigger than you normally see.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
My suggestion would be to list it as is, maybe someone will take the whole thing. Like Cody said, you never see a board like that!

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Thanks for the advice, opinions, and inquiries! I’ve decided to work a deal with a good friend and incredible turner/artisan. I’m going to trade him the board that I want no part of for a bunch of lessons. Here’s an example of his work.

9F3E9363-A554-4A1B-A980-B386FE8614FC.png

2C3A0470-CB20-4878-B68A-6FBB9B647107.png

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
His name is Sammy Long, from Brandon, MS. He was supposed to have several bookings on a lecture/demo tour This summer, but Covid cut that short. So, while he’s stuck at home, I’m going to take advantage of it!:yipee:

Y’all look for him next year! He liable to show up about anywhere!