"Whale bowl" engraving technique

AustinTom

Reaction score
First name
Thomas
A friend wanted a large salad bowl to be housed in Nantucket. And then she said she wanted humpback whales on it. Although I considered that an insult to the wood, and I am absolutely not an artist, I had to figure out how to put whales on the bowl. Through a lot of trial and error I came up with a technique that might be useful. These are the condensed steps I followed.
  • I complete turning and sanding the bowl as normally done.
  • I applied a couple coats of finish, I used polyurethane, to the inside and outside.
  • I had found and created appropriately sized pictures of whales as line art.
  • I printed the images on paper, trimmed off most of the excess paper around the images, and positioned them on the bowl with masking tape until I was happy with the placement.
  • One by one, I removed each image and sprayed the back with an adhesive (I used 3M Super 77) and put it back in position. I pressed it down so the whole image was uniformly attached.
  • I then used a v-bit in a Dremel tool to carve along the outline of the image, and dark shaded areas, being sure to cut into the wood of the bowl. I had the bowl mounted on the lathe for this and following steps.
  • I applied black gel stain over the images with a paper towel, working it into the carved areas. I used a gel stain because it would not penetrate beyond the carved areas. The bowl was pre-finished so the stain would not stain areas that were not carved.
  • When the stain was dry, I peeled off the paper and re-sanded the outside to remove any glue and paper residue.
  • I then re-finished the outside of the bowl.
If there is a next time, I would use a water-soluble spray glue. The glue I used could easily be removed with mineral spirits, but mineral spirits also dissolved the gel stain. I had to sand off a lot of glue residue. Water would not affect the gel stain but would dissolve a water-soluble glue, making things a lot easier.

For the techies in the group, I got my images ready for the bowl by doing an internet search for humpback whale pictures, captured or saved the ones I wanted, used Photoshop to resize them to what I wanted, and turned them into line art using the “photocopy” filter.

Below are pictures of the finished bowl and my trial and error board.

20210628_103412.jpg 20210708_104855.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
What a terrific creation! The bowl is immaculate by itself! For not being an artist, you sure were able to capture the essence of what you were trying to portray, I believe. Congrats! Chuck

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
For the techies in the group, I got my images ready for the bowl by doing an internet search for humpback whale pictures, captured or saved the ones I wanted, used Photoshop to resize them to what I wanted, and turned them into line art using the “photocopy” filter.
That's what I have been looking for....cool!!

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Very creative, great looking piece of work!

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Nicely done