Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

What did you do in your shop today?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler (Woodworking Related Talk)' started by woodtickgreg, Oct 20, 2013.

1. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Greg
    I was going to do some wood turning today, but thought.......gee I sure could use some new chisels. So I decided to start making some on the ole south bend. So I oiled her up and had at it. It was a fun day in the shop doing a little machining, had so much fun running the south bend that I made a bunch of extra blanks to sell as well. Running the south bend is just an absolute joy! This was the longest I ran her since the restore, I ran it about 5 hours straight and the bearing caps never even got warm. It tickled me to see oil running out of the shafts and dripping on the machine, that told me it was getting properly lubed. I put the 4 jaw independent chuck back on and ground up a hss cutter and set it up in the tool holder. I played with the speeds and depth of cuts as well. I love the smell of cutting oil! :yipee: It's like gun oil and solvent, or wd 40, or marvel mystery oil. I know that's weird. :dunno: So here's a few pics...........

First three pics are of the lathe running and making a cut. Turning square stock round for the handle end of the chisels.
    [attachment=33028]

[attachment=33029]

[attachment=33030]
    I said I was going to use this lathe and get her dirty, it's not an art or museum piece. She's covered with oil and chips and being used as it was meant to. I think it's as close to running a brand new 1949 lathe as you can get. It just flat out works. :biggrin:
    [attachment=33031]
    I used this cart during the restore of the lathe, now it has been re purposed as a machinist cart. Some of my machining tools are on it, oils for the lathe, some steel stock etc. I can pull it out when I want to use the lathe or mill and push it back between the mill and lathe when I'm done.
    [attachment=33032]
    This is what I am starting to work on, 3/8" square cold rolled stock.
    [attachment=33033]
    If I turn the ends round it will make it easier to handle them when they are done. Just drill a 3/8" hole in the end of the handle and epoxy them in.
    [attachment=33034]

[attachment=33035]
    Was a fun day in the shop. :biggrin:
    What did you guys do in the shop today?

chisel-blanks-001.jpg

chisel-blanks-002.jpg

chisel-blanks-003.jpg

chisel-blanks-004.jpg

chisel-blanks-005.jpg

chisel-blanks-006.jpg

chisel-blanks-007.jpg

chisel-blanks-008.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  2. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    Nothing. Unless you count my mill as my shop, in which case I did a pretty good bit. :wink:

You had a great day in your shop I see. Nicce work my friend. Anyone who may wonder what kind of work Greg does - my favorite turning tool was manufactured in his shop. :good:

3. Brink

Brink There's nothing to see here Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Brink
    Nice!

• +Karma +Karma x 1
  4. SDB777

SDB777 Member Full Member

First name:
    s
    I did the lawns...no shop time. Been reading up about stabilizing and stabilizing chambers/vacuum pumps though. Have some 'feelers' out there, waiting on answers....

Do you have a website with your chisels?

Scott (can always use another tool...maybe) B

5. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Greg
    I don't have a website for anything. :dunno: :lolol: At this time I just post a thread when I get some tools made up for sale. I only sell my tools here on the wood barter at this time. Thanks for the interest though. This batch will be mid size tools. Watch for a sale thread in a few weeks.

:hatsoff:

6. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Greg, it looks like you had a fantastic day in the shop!

No time in the shop for me today. Really would have liked to have had some time this weekend, but I'm still sick and in quarantine. I could quarantine myself to the shop, but I wouldn't feel safe running power tools when I'm tired, achy, and my brain is in a fog. Plus loud noises currently make my head hurt. Shop time will come another day. As much as I miss my shop, I miss my wife and son far far more. Since I've been quarantined to the bedroom, I haven't seen much of them the last 4 days, even though we're in the same house. My 11 month old is just beside himself that daddy can't play with him, and it breaks my heart. When I'm out of quarantine, I'm not even going to be thinking of shop time until I've had a few days to spend some quality time with my wife and son.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kenbo

Kenbo Self proclaimed expert of nothing Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Ken
    Worked a little on my Hummer build and took some video footage for next week's youtube channel show. Now to edit the video.
    :good2:

8. Sprung

First name:
    Matt
    See the link is Ken's signature. Ken does a great job on those videos.

9. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Started makin my shop normal again and made a mess- what a relieve -the clean :scare3::scare3: was drivin me NUTS!!!!!! :dash2::dash2::dash2: 3 boxes to warm up- furniture in my future. :yipee::yipee::yipee::yipee::yipee::yipee::yipee::yipee::yipee:

10. Kenbo

Kenbo Self proclaimed expert of nothing Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Ken

Yup, here's the link to the channel.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kennyearrings1?feature=mhee

11. Sprung

First name:
    Matt
    Spending the afternoon in the shop! (Except for right now, while the little guy takes a nap. My shop is directly under his room, and I don't want to wake him!)

Coffee always tastes better with a little bit of sawdust:
    IMG_20131025_141218_261.jpg

Finally got a chance to sell the Stanley 77 Dowel Maker that came with my bandsaw. Auction ended on ebay today for more money than I was expecting to get. That means that in the next few days I'll finally be able to order parts and blades for my bandsaw! :D

If things go as planned, I should be able to have a couple projects completed to the point where I can move them on to the finishing stage. :cool:

IMG_20131025_141218_261.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Makin a mess- little shavings-sawdust and crap on the floor. Dust on machines- wood here there same with tools- ahh what a relieve- back to my normal mess- that clean was gettin me down...................

• Like Like x 2
  13. bluedot

bluedot Member Full Member

First name:
    Dan
    I put finish on two Pepper Mill/ Salt Shaker combos. Turned an Osage pot call and grunt call. These were also my first attempt at "Flamed Osage". I am happy with the result so far we will see after the finishing is complete. Cleaning crossed my mind but the urge to make sawdust won out. :)

Dan

• Like Like x 1
  14. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    Spent day in shop. I've not taken much vacation this year, so I'm using some up by taking Fridays off thru end of year. Turned some ornaments, a couple boxes and made up some of the ornament tools to post and for some locals that wanted one during a recent demo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SDB777

First name:
    s
    You ever running a limb saw for a ten hour shift?

I did yesterday, cut enough limbs to fill two 28yard grapple trucks full. So I had thought about getting a piece of wood down from the shelf, but my arms are too sore to get it down. And it's some sweet BlackWalnut crotch that will become a RM bowl...... Maybe tomorrow?

Scott (I hate being sore) B

• Like Like x 2
  16. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    I wish I was there... I'd get it down for you. Then I'd run off with it(hoping your legs are sore too!)

• Like Like x 2
  17. SDB777

First name:
    s

Ouch, y'all kick a fella while he's limping....wouldn't ya? Maybe if it was crappy pine 2x4's or something I'd be safe!:eek:

Scott (:confused:glad your a few miles away:confused:) B

18. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Spent some time in my shop today doing some metal work and machining. I finished turning the square stock round for the handles. I am using 3/8" and 1/2" cold rolled bar stock, high carbon. I think I turned about 40 blanks. I plan to make several different styles, I have something special planned for the finish on these. turned-chisels-001.jpg

turned-chisels-002.jpg

turned-chisels-003.jpg

turned-chisels-004.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    1 more since we can only do 4 at a time now.
    Well this is a good start on the chisels, got a long way to go, these aren't done on a cnc machine but old school machines. I make stuff the old school way, lay out lines and read the dials and hit my marks, just too much fun for me. I love the smell of cutting oil, it's very relaxing turning the handles and watching the part take shape. I have made some of these tools before but the quality on these will be better because of the new machines I acquired last year, my rebuilt south bend lathe and the new old burke mill. Using these old machines is so much fun for me. I have a long way to go on these as I do 1 step at a time in batches, 1 for me and some to be sold, my turning chisel set is going to grow this year.

turned-chisels-005.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  20. SDB777

First name:
    s
    It was something I had been putting off since I returned from Maine....

Installed a 30,000BTU natural gas heater for the wife in the garage/shop. Seems the 'perfect temp' for making her sweet swirly poly resin blanks is more then an electric heaters can really accomplish quickly. I have a feeling, it might come in handy for 'others' that happen to be using the same space(if you know what I mean). I fired it up after checking all the connections....twenty minutes I was thinking about cleaning up nakid!!!!

Needless to say, between filling orders and installing black pipe...I didn't get to 'dodge the raindrops' in the backyard. No milling today!

Scott (but the wife is happy she can be warm) B

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 12:34 AM