What did you do in your shop today?

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Well, I can check stained glass off the having never done it before list. After going to 3 different hobby lobby stores to find enough of the same white glass I was able to make these today. All the blue came from the same sheet, disappointed in the color variation but swmbo loves them so... moving on!

View attachment 246994

View attachment 246995

View attachment 246996
Congrats! I’ve not done it myself, either, but have friends back in Redding who do it professionally. There’s a lot to it! Yours turned out just great! Chuck

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Note to The Haole Texan - once formerly known as "Stoopid Islander". The variations are normal for stained glass - by virtue of how they are frequently made. In 1955 the year before I was born, Ford decided to build the (then) world's largest float glass plant (almost 2 million sf) in Nashville. In it's day it would make about 500 tons of glass a day or about 250,000 sf. (or so I was told - but other figures would indicate they averaged much more per day). They have tight control on color, thickness, and other parameters - everything automated (have gone from something like 3000 workers now to 500 and now owned by the 6th or 7th company) Colored/stained glass manufacturers are a different entity - small batches by hand - hand transferring crucibles of molten glass to a small rolling mill from a batch oven. Each crucible slightly different by nature from the others.

Last edited:

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Note to The Haole Texan - once formerly known as "Stoopid Islander". The variations are normal for stained glass - by virtue of how they are frequently made. In 1955 the year before I was born, Ford decided to build the (then) world's largest float glass plant (almost 2 million sf) in Nashville. In it's day it would make about 500 tons of glass a day or about 250,000 sf. (or so I was told - but other figures would indicate they averaged much more per day). They have tight control on color, thickness, and other parameters - everything automated (have gone from something like 3000 workers now to 500 and now owned by the 6th or 7th company) Colored/stained glass manufacturers are a different entity - small batches by hand - hand transferring crucibles of molten glass to a small rolling mill from a batch oven. Each crucible slightly different by nature from the others.
For all those not fluent in "lil' Mikey" I will translate this from Backwood Lords Americanized Befuddled Language Articulation or as is commonly known "BLA BLA" to English.
Here's what he said; "Cool, I agree with you on the color but hey, it's glass."

Thanks Mike, I like it too.
:wonky:

Last edited:

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
It will be interested to see that sassafras and maple burl with a finish on them. Do you power sand and stop sanding at 180 grit?

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
It will be interested to see that sassafras and maple burl with a finish on them. Do you power sand and stop sanding at 180 grit?
Power sand with 180, don’t use coarser because it deeply scratches the wood and necessitates more sanding to remove, then hand sand 180 to 600.

First coat of oil

IMG_6320.jpeg IMG_6322.jpeg

Up next…

IMG_6321.jpeg

CHunt

Reaction score
First name
Christopher
I'm not sure about solace, send me this burl and I'll find out.
:sofa:
I will be busy for a while! Found these nice burls on Marketplace and couldn't pass them up. Ended up getting 5 slabs about 24x36x2" and some chunks. Very nice stuff with lots of curls and eyes. Now just gotta figure out some projects.

1695066245598.jpeg
1695066277021.jpeg

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
I will be busy for a while! Found these nice burls on Marketplace and couldn't pass them up. Ended up getting 5 slabs about 24x36x2" and some chunks. Very nice stuff with lots of curls and eyes. Now just gotta figure out some projects.

View attachment 247217
View attachment 247218
Send those too, I'll find solace and some projects for you. You're welcome

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Well, H. E. Double Hockey Sticks - the last time I tried to buy something on marketplace - I got scammed.

CHunt

Reaction score
First name
Christopher
Well, H. E. Double Hockey Sticks - the last time I tried to buy something on marketplace - I got scammed.
I know what you mean. I always buy local to me and this guy just happened to be 20 minutes away. I drove to his house and SURPRISE - he has a portable mill in his backyard with a pole barn full of slabs. Most was redwood but had some really nice Maple in there also. I think I may be seeing him again soon!!