• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

What do you use to clean your lathe?

DirtFarmer

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Well, I bought a lathe of a retiree last summer and have been using it pretty much non-stop since. Naturally, there have been splatters and splotches here and there of various finishing solutions and CA glues.

Does anyone have any specific cleaning solutions you use for your lathe? This one is an older Rikon 70-105.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Acetone will work on the raw bed way surfaces to remove finishing drips, but keep it off the paint as it will soften paint that you don't want to remove. Then you can lightly sand the bed with 600 grit or finer wet or dry sandpaper and oil by hand to bring back the polish. Then a couple of coats of wax to protect the bed ways from rust and to make it easier to clean future drips.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I think we’re talking about the bed only, I’d never clean the painted parts...that provides additional ballast! 😃
I keep a small piece of scotch brite and either use wax or WD40 followed by wiping off excess. Be sure to get underside of banjo and tail rest too. The other overlooked area is the underside of the bed rails where the clamp disk on banjo and tail rest ride. A rag dampened with WD works well there. If you ever see John Jordan doing a demo, he’ll start by cleaning the bed with WD before ever starting to turn and make sure the banjo moves around easily.