What Finish for a Spalted Sycamore Chip-Dip Bowl

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hey all finish masters, I am in need of your experience and recommendations. I am finishing up a Spalted Sycamore bowl and am looking for the best finish. I am not done with it yet but should be tomorrow. Have to hollow the dip bowl portion and finish sanding.

I was thinking of a couple coats of teak, tung or walnut oil followed by wipe on poly.

Any help would be awesome.

3554A0EC-E9E4-4623-9FA6-448E5F9BD625.jpeg

ECAD6F35-0D2C-4B2E-B122-1B82B1E424D0.jpeg

B5EC6466-6EF5-4C56-9E4C-FB525D4DBF56.jpeg

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Check out General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish.

Also, See this video to get some more ideas.

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
What Karl said. I use the Gereral Salad Bowl finish for my wife's bowls that she actually uses. The other 40 or 50, just poly or spar varnish.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
IMO it depends on what you want.
I have not used the General finish. If you use poly it will yellow the wood some. I've been using polycrylic on my projects with lighter colored woods--no darkening.
Lacquer would look nice but no good marks for durability.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I would go with poly OR one of the other oils depending on the look/sheen you’re after. I don’t see any benefit to using a different oil before the poly. Most of the teak oil I’ve seen is really an oil/varnish blend, so it would work also.

I also like the general salad bowl finish and Minwax Antique oil, but if you’ve got the poly on hand, I don’t see any reason to buy something else.

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
Will a wipe on poly cure if applied after an oil finish? I was going to try it but was concerned it would not dry thoroughly.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Depends on how many layers you put on and how many salads you put through it. Washing would be the biggest detriment there.

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went with the Teak Oil and then wipe on poly. I finished the inside and outside and just removed the tendon. I completed the last coat of Teak on the bottom, signed and stamped and will put the wipe on poly on tonight. I think I will stick with the OB Shine Juice as it is much faster.

IMG_8595.JPG

IMG_8594.JPG

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Would any of those work good with hot liquids?

I have no idea. I am learning still.

I am at the stage where I just want to make stuff and it look cool. I still have so many micro scratches and blems. My wife like the stuff and that is all that really matters.

Just bought my son a Texas Heeler so I am going to turn him a couple of custom dog bowls from Walnut with a Blood Wood Ring at the top.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I have no idea. I am learning still.

I am at the stage where I just want to make stuff and it look cool. I still have so many micro scratches and blems. My wife like the stuff and that is all that really matters.

Just bought my son a Texas Heeler so I am going to turn him a couple of custom dog bowls from Walnut with a Blood Wood Ring at the top.
I’m just learning also,I’ve made a lot of stuff,FOR my wife too.

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I would just find a glass or plastic bowl to fit where the dip goes and not worry about it. That way don't have to worry so much about cleaning it.
I actually thought about buying some of the plastic tub dip and make the dip cup so they would fit perfectly inside.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Heck, just check a $ store or hobby lobby That's where I get mine,

Craft section at Wally World here has a pretty good selection too, and they're a little cheaper than Hobby Lobby. Haven't tried the Dollar Stores.