What free wood did you find today?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Thanks Mike and Mark! Appreciate all the info and the ID.

Looking at lots of pictures of "Amur" I think that's it. Tree was full of samaras. This one had a base of~ 26" at ground level, but that was with three trunks grown together. Largest trunk was maybe 12" DBH with the other two ~8". Height was around 15'.

Can now add this to my knowledge base and hopefully remember it when I come across one again.
Crazy request, let me buy a few pieces, I do not have any Amur maple samples in the reference collection. I'd be interested in a flat sawn sample blank and a 1/4 sawn sample blank with a mix of heartwood and sapwood in one of the samples. Let me know if possible.

Looks like you might have some burling in one of those pieces....

@phinds

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
When I get to sawing these will definitely cut you some samples. Probably be a couple weeks, but will let you know when I get to it. I'll cut some well oversized so you can get your finished dry sample size. No need to buy any, I'll just send them to you, consider it your fee for helping all of us ID our various finds. :wink:

There is a small burly area on one of the sections, several on the tree but most were only golf ball size. There were two burls at ground level that I dulled a chain getting, around 6-8” in size.

eaglea1

Castaway
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Finally got the red oak burl tree down and cut up. Ended up with 24 burls in all. NOW, I just have to get them cut and
sealed and/or sold.

IMG_0999[3466].jpg IMG_1001[3468].jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
The logs in that last picture look really nice. Oh, and you need to get a truck or a little trailer. That Jeep won't last long hauling around 500 lbs of logs.