What free wood did you find today?

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
I gotta ask… Why is all that hardwood being burned? Seems like it would be valuable as firewood at the very least.

Alan
This guy has a thriving business and is very busy. Every time I turn around, he's bought a new piece of equipment. He does sell firewood. You should see his splitters. The problem is there is so much that it all can't be processed into lumber or firewood. So it has to be burned. Did you see the size of those Red Oak logs? Too big for me to deal with and I really don't care for Red Oak.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Few pics of the log yard. All of this will be burned in the next couple of days.

A large pile of Honey Locust and a 2'+ dia. cutoff the stump. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and get some if it's still there.
View attachment 254692View attachment 254693

A couple of 2'+dia. Red Oak logs. The last two show a mixture of logs.
View attachment 254694View attachment 254695View attachment 254696

A stack of Hackberry. The smaller stuff will be firewood. A pile of Maple. Not sure which one. And last, The stump cutoff from the Red Elm tree. If I had a bigger saw and knew it wouldn't split every which way, it would make a nice rustic end table.
View attachment 254697View attachment 254698View attachment 254699

Way too much for me to deal with. I have to pick and choose.
Most of the maple I see is Silver maple. The oak looks to be Pin oak, it is in the red oak family.
I gotta ask… Why is all that hardwood being burned? Seems like it would be valuable as firewood at the very least.

Alan
I'd bet greed is why so much gets burned. In the 1970's, millions of board feet of veneer cherry were burned at a local development, because they could make more money quicker selling lots than conserving resources. Maybe when this guy gets older and sees the bigger picture he might change his habits. Dan could make him a bowl and say, "Here is a $40 bowl, just like the 100 bowls you burned the other day".

Dan, very happy for you being able to get some fun woods at a great price. Work smart, not hard and be safe.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Wish I were closer to take advantage of the excess hardwoods that are bound for the burn pile! And the 30 years younger would also come in handy! Chuck

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Anyone want a 24" bowl blank? Just kidding, that would be 'gauging interest'. And it's only 18" thick, so a 16" bowl blank is more realistic. I really don't know how to chop up somethis this big. I guess I could make a 16" bowl blank for my Nephew. He's looking at getting a bigger lathe. But if I want smaller bowl blanks for me out of the other half, I don't know. Maybe a 6"x6"x 16" block to be chopped up later for a vase or two. Any ideas?

This was from the Honey Locust pile I posted earlier. Man those big pieces and the crotch log on the right were heavy.
IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2662.JPG

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Lots of options, but keep in mind to balance the grain or features. How soon is the nephew getting a new lathe? Even with end sealing, blanks that size are better roughed out sooner than later.

With that depth, couple of deep salad bowls work as well. I'd definitely want some hollow form blanks, but if it's a big clear piece, might be better served with bowls. I also try to cut plenty of spindle blanks, but usually nothing smaller than 1.5-2". Handy to have those around for handles and many other small projects. Just seal the end grain, throw them on a shelf and forget them. They store easily and don't take up too much space.

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
Sorry yall, hadn't had time to get into anything bc if work. BUT it's because of work that I have plenty of "eclectic project supplies" stocked @2feathers Creative Making . Pieced up some willow, huisache, and bradford pear into workable sizes for my bandsaw. Didn't sharpen my chain until after the willow & pear so she was all over the place.

Question: Does willow always smell like someone has been wiping their arse with a foot??

6f1f22e6-3352-4d46-9256-3db7ac1658bf.jpg

bcc6e389-d2f9-4894-9378-eab44703b6b6.jpg

20240324_154548.jpg

20240324_154532.jpg

20240324_153223.jpg

20240324_154038.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
My willow smelled a little like aspirin...
Since aspirin is contained in most willows, that is a good thing.

Sorry yall, hadn't had time to get into anything bc if work. BUT it's because of work that I have plenty of "eclectic project supplies" stocked @2feathers Creative Making . Pieced up some willow, huisache, and bradford pear into workable sizes for my bandsaw. Didn't sharpen my chain until after the willow & pear so she was all over the place.

Question: Does willow always smell like someone has been wiping their arse with a foot??

View attachment 254955

View attachment 254956

View attachment 254957

View attachment 254958

View attachment 254960

View attachment 254961
Where the tree grows can often influence odors of the wood. That is not a common smell for most of our willows but it may be for yours where it was grown.

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
Since aspirin is contained in most willows, that is a good thing.

Where the tree grows can often influence odors of the wood. That is not a common smell for most of our willows but it may be for yours where it was grown.
That checks out.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
You know you ain't living right, when every time you see some FBE it is deep within a state park with no chance of sneaking in a pilfering it at night!
Well not sure it is FBE, just a cut log.

1712066552757.png

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
You know you ain't living right, when every time you see some FBE it is deep within a state park with no chance of sneaking in a pilfering it at night!
Well not sure it is FBE, just a cut log.

View attachment 255196
You are correct. It's flame box. The red in this one causes by the area that's starting to rot. However, on the lower side it appears it may have had a few bugs as well...

Bear Custom Builds

temet nosce
Reaction score
First name
Connor
Went out and did a nice 7.5 mile hike a couple days ago and came across something I’ve never seen before, but have been hoping to find eventually. An abandoned orchard. It was pretty small, only about 8-10 trees, but the trunks of these guys were huge, like 2-3 feet across.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the orchard itself. But I did find a large branch broken off on the ground, so I have a piece of that. I plan on going back in the near future to bring home more of that branch as the wood is just that beautiful.
92AA3711-9592-4FF5-81F9-6CCE64EC987F.jpeg
7462833D-EB6B-4A16-A961-22BD0BC788A7.jpeg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Went out and did a nice 7.5 mile hike a couple days ago and came across something I’ve never seen before, but have been hoping to find eventually. An abandoned orchard. It was pretty small, only about 8-10 trees, but the trunks of these guys were huge, like 2-3 feet across.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the orchard itself. But I did find a large branch broken off on the ground, so I have a piece of that. I plan on going back in the near future to bring home more of that branch as the wood is just that beautiful.
View attachment 255263
View attachment 255262
Makes me wonder if you could get permission to take more than just a short branch if you could figure out who owns the property. Unless you have to hike that far to reach the site. Chuck

Bear Custom Builds

temet nosce
Reaction score
First name
Connor
Makes me wonder if you could get permission to take more than just a short branch if you could figure out who owns the property. Unless you have to hike that far to reach the site. Chuck
Its about 3.5 miles to the orchard, and its on state land. So I don’t know if I’d be able to get permission. The trail isn’t that bad, its an old logging road, so I could take a wagon or something to bring wood back.