What free wood did you find today?

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Some folks think they can mitigate all risks… The 20,000 cars that drive by the tree are far more dangerous than a stock still oak tree… the fact that people run into something that has been there for 400 years tells me a lot about what the problem is...

Alan

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I seen far too many large old oaks doing volunteer disaster work that have come down during storms. Sadly oaks roots are often near the surface which cause them to uproot and fall over which dangers both life and property. Also many large oaks over 200 years old are often in bad shape and can kill people when large limbs or the entire tree falls in the street.

Below are just a few oaks that I've helped cut up after thunder storms. This doesn't come anywhere close to the damage I've seen after tornados.

2017-06-07_08-24-38_28.jpg 2017-09-02_17-17-40_169.jpg PXL_20231001_165221570.jpg 2017-06-03_11-37-25_639.jpg Frames_Tree.jpg

Some tornado damage where large oaks often do the most damage destroying homes and vehicles.
PXL_20230401_170213129.jpg
PXL_20230401_203500281.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
And you do have to consider the mayor's position. If that tree or part of it did fall, after it's been identified as a concern, and someone got hurt, sure has heck the city would be quickly facing a very large law suit. I think that's as responsible for many of these types of decisions just as much as poor risk management... or ignorance. Our legal system has been allowed to be corrupted for profit instead of just common sense justice.

Last edited:

Bear Custom Builds

temet nosce
Reaction score
First name
Connor
Found a large standing recently dead beach tree on the property. Looks like it died this past winter. About “14 inches across at the base. Decided to take her down the old fashioned way as I don’t have a functional chainsaw at the moment. Plus I would have been a pain to hike out a mile carrying a chainsaw. So I took my axe and a 3.5 foot cross cut saw and took her down. The top apparently broke off years ago, so it was just a 20’ trunk with one large branch on her. Its definitely a work out getting the wood back to the house to process it down as the trail to the tree is narrow and its impossible to get even a hand cart back there to bring wood out, so what ever I cut I have to carry out. Got my first piece out today. 1/4 log a little over 4 feet long and 70 lbs. Its going to be a lot of work to get the rest of it out of there, so I’m definitely going to make the most out of this wood.
36F5177E-693B-4DFE-AE4E-4B88D60EE0C0.jpeg
ED79D6B1-8ACE-4D95-90B9-E2036D166B3F.jpeg
2728F70C-E578-44BA-9BAA-2E9979327100.jpeg

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Well, this was free and I forgot I had it, it was buried on a shelf. A fairly thin crotch section of dogwood I got several years back. I trimmed a little and am hoping it stays together during interrupted cuts. Reminded of how nice dogwood is to turn.
IMG_4227.jpeg IMG_4228.jpeg IMG_4230.jpeg

Bear Custom Builds

temet nosce
Reaction score
First name
Connor
Rescued from a barnyard clean out today. Told oak and maple on the smalls and thinks spruce on the big one, all dry and ready to process into blanks.

View attachment 257514View attachment 257515View attachment 257516View attachment 257517View attachment 257518View attachment 257519
Had to leave behind a whopper of a white oak burl when I moved, so I’m a bit jealous. Hoping to find some burls in some barn sales/clean-outs too, just have to be patient I guess.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
Our area has had daily thunderstorms for over a week with some 80+ mph winds that snapped many trees off. I spent lots of hours with a chainsaw helping clear the broken trees from the neighborhood.

Sunday afternoon I spent some time off to go "shopping" around town. The street curbs were a smorgasbord but passed on most of it. I hope to get a few decent blanks from these.

This is Chinese Pistache & Maple.

The Chinese Pistache was fallen over in our community.

The Maple tree was a few neighborhoods over and already cut and stacked at the curb. A huge tree, I got a few of the logs that were of manageable size.

20240603_184056.jpg

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Our area has had daily thunderstorms for over a week with some 80+ mph winds that snapped many trees off. I spent lots of hours with a chainsaw helping clear the broken trees from the neighborhood.

Sunday afternoon I spent some time off to go "shopping" around town. The street curbs were a smorgasbord but passed on most of it. I hope to get a few decent blanks from these.

The Maple tree was a few neighborhoods over and already cut and stacked at the curb. A huge tree, I got a few of the logs that were of manageable size.

View attachment 257825
Beautiful load! Be sure to post a few pics when you divide & conquer them! Chuck

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark

View attachment 257825
A straight tail-gate....wow. Been a long time since I had one of those. See, my issue is I sit on my mine, almost always to a side close to the support straps, but to no avail, it ends up bowing bad enough things can fall out the crack created when closed.

Oh, nice wood too.

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Well, this isn't a find of wood in the raw (log) sense, but I stopped at a yard sale on my way home from church today. First off, I have to say I hate yard sales. Mostly junk and kids clothes. Good for some people, but a waste of my time. I've been looking for another electric skillet to melt wax in. Something told me to stop and take a very quick look. It was a cloudy day and low and behold the sun popped through and a beam of sunlight shown through the clouds onto a table with an electric skillet! No not really, no divine intervention. But there was a skillet marked $0.25! Needless to say I grabbed it. I've been needing a silage fork for moving mulch.....$2.
IMG_2967.JPG

Milled about a little more and back by the garage, there was this pile of ERC. $10 for all of it. I thought it was 3/4 boards, didn't have my glasses on, but when I got home, I realized it was sawn at under 3/4". When I plane it down, it'll be 1/2". That'll be OK though. I have two small cedar closets I want to make and I won't have to use (and waste) my thicker lumber stacked in the basement.

Picked up some art work, mainly for the glass frames for $2-3 ea, and two dehydrators for $0.50 a piece. If my garden produces like last year, I'll be able to dry some Shishito peppers and tomatoes. Thank goodness I listened to my inner voice and stopped :lol2: .

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Well, this isn't a find of wood in the raw (log) sense, but I stopped at a yard sale on my way home from church today. First off, I have to say I hate yard sales. Mostly junk and kids clothes. Good for some people, but a waste of my time. I've been looking for another electric skillet to melt wax in. Something told me to stop and take a very quick look. It was a cloudy day and low and behold the sun popped through and a beam of sunlight shown through the clouds onto a table with an electric skillet! No not really, no divine intervention. But there was a skillet marked $0.25! Needless to say I grabbed it. I've been needing a silage fork for moving mulch.....$2.
View attachment 258138

Milled about a little more and back by the garage, there was this pile of ERC. $10 for all of it. I thought it was 3/4 boards, didn't have my glasses on, but when I got home, I realized it was sawn at under 3/4". When I plane it down, it'll be 1/2". That'll be OK though. I have two small cedar closets I want to make and I won't have to use (and waste) my thicker lumber stacked in the basement.

Picked up some art work, mainly for the glass frames for $2-3 ea, and two dehydrators for $0.50 a piece. If my garden produces like last year, I'll be able to dry some Shishito peppers and tomatoes. Thank goodness I listened to my inner voice and stopped :lol2: .
Wow, $0.25, at least a $2 item here and the fork goes for $100 new and $20 used. So I'd say divine for sure.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
View attachment 258138

Congrats! One heck of a deal on the ERC. Chuck