What is it ?

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Mark, I have a picture somewhere of me standing in front of an Aligator Juniper taken in '97 while on an Elk hunt just below Winslow. I am dwarfed by the size of this tree. It had to have at least a 6' diameter or larger. I was Elk hunting, and wood didn't interest me other than it's size at that time. Yep, they do get larger than that 30" you stalled at. When I find that picture, I'll scan it and post it. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)
I've a couple of AJ up on Coleman ridge at the foot of Escudilla mountain (10,995 ft) which i live at the foot of and these Alligator's are 8' and more in dia.

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Well I expected that to last longer, oh well just means I have to go on the hunt for something else different than what we usually see.
Also thanks to everyone for the welcome backs, glad to be alive again, had my doubts for the last 2 years. Thank God and great doctors!

Wildthings

ASTROS 2019 WORLD CHAMPION VIDEO PLAYERS
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Well Well Well looky who showed back up!! Great to see you back! How's the thumb doing?

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Still only half there, but I can still count to 9 1/2 so I think I'll make ! Not sure where the thumb picture is but you might want to refresh it, it won't hurt for people to see once again that stupidity and table saws don't mix ! And it's good to see you to bud !!

Wildthings

Reaction score
First name
Barry
Still only half there, but I can still count to 9 1/2 so I think I'll make ! Not sure where the thumb picture is but you might want to refresh it, it won't hurt for people to see once again that stupidity and table saws don't mix ! And it's good to see you to bud !!
Here's the thread Joe and I are referring to --- WARNING GRAPHIC

Last edited:

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
I'll get busy one day in the not too distant future and put some of my Alligator Juniper burl and some of my DIW on for folks. Still have about 20,000 lbs of ironwood in a pile out by the well house and need to weed some of it out before I have to leave it to the kids, they won't care about the value of it and it will just be firewood to them.

Wildthings

Reaction score
First name
Barry
I'll get busy one day in the not too distant future and put some of my Alligator Juniper burl and some of my DIW on for folks. Still have about 20,000 lbs of ironwood in a pile out by the well house and need to weed some of it out before I have to leave it to the kids, they won't care about the value of it and it will just be firewood to them.
Bring it on Joe been waiting for your ironwood!

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
I also really like the sound of thousands of pounds of DIW!

By the way: Thank you for sharing your story and photos of your left thumb and fingers as a warning to us all about the potential dangers of our craft. I am a prosthetist (one who makes and fits external prosthetic limbs for amputees), and, while I specialize in legs (a true leg man. What can I say?...), I know about arms, hands, and thumbs, too. Five years out from the incident, you have likely heard & seen all about your options and have decided what you would need or might use.
However, if ever you (or others out there) would like to learn what options are available, or what some others have found to be useful in similar circumstances, I would willingly chat / ZOOM with you. I promise I have nothing to sell. In fact, as a full time educator, I'm more focused on ensuring all options are conveyed effectively and efficiently just so I could offer a quiz on the content later. :-)

Thank you again! --JB

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
I also really like the sound of thousands of pounds of DIW!

By the way: Thank you for sharing your story and photos of your left thumb and fingers as a warning to us all about the potential dangers of our craft. I am a prosthetist (one who makes and fits external prosthetic limbs for amputees), and, while I specialize in legs (a true leg man. What can I say?...), I know about arms, hands, and thumbs, too. Five years out from the incident, you have likely heard & seen all about your options and have decided what you would need or might use.
However, if ever you (or others out there) would like to learn what options are available, or what some others have found to be useful in similar circumstances, I would willingly chat / ZOOM with you. I promise I have nothing to sell. In fact, as a full time educator, I'm more focused on ensuring all options are conveyed effectively and efficiently just so I could offer a quiz on the content later. :-)

Thank you again! --JB
Thank you my friend, I don't use anything to protect the thumb however there are times I wish I had a shock absorber for it, to this day all the ripped up nerves will set me on the ground when I bump it.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
You got it my friend!! It is Douglas Fir burl, as I said I've cut hundreds of them and have never seen burl in one.

Joe, if you have a lot of that Doug-fir burl, I'll buy a piece for my wood sample collection. Paul might have interest also. Two years ago a guy had some on here, and then he disappeared before a trade was made.

@phinds

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
Joe, if you have a lot of that Doug-fir burl, I'll buy a piece for my wood sample collection. Paul might have interest also. Two years ago a guy had some on here, and then he disappeared before a trade was made.

@phinds
Sorry my friend but what I showed is all I have at this time although I have a friend that buys and sells firewood and he's keeping an eye out for me for more so we'll see.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Sorry my friend but what I showed is all I have at this time although I have a friend that buys and sells firewood and he's keeping an eye out for me for more so we'll see.

So you are saying that the burling was very small in comparison to the tree.?.

The other guy that was on here (WB) had said that several Doug-fir trees in a grove had burls where he found his. So maybe there are more where this tree was from...or was this a log you had delivered just as firewood?

shadetree_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Joe
By the time i
So you are saying that the burling was very small in comparison to the tree.?.

The other guy that was on here (WB) had said that several Doug-fir trees in a grove had burls where he found his. So maybe there are more where this tree was from...or was this a log you had delivered just as firewood?
By the time I had bucked this thing up and loaded the truck I was pretty beat up and never even noticed the burl but then it may have been a piece my grandson loaded, I didn't see it until I threw the piece on the splitter when I saw it I was doing the happy dance but unfortunately I've not had time to get back to that spot as I had to concentrate on cutting my best heat wood (pinyon) I'll try to get back there this spring but I've got my sisters log cabin to finish so we'll see.