• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

What to do with all this Olive Wood

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Or just load a truck and bring to Va. I'll help ya get rid of it. I'll store a bunch for ya too! Since I'm a nice guy like that

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I think that the farther north you ship then the cheaper it should get, I'm just sayin! :sarcastic:
What!!!!!!!! Special treatment for just living in the frosty latitudes? My mind just cannot get around that notion!!!!

Last edited:

Tim Carter

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I'd suggest you contact any lumber yards or retail outlets like woodcraft, in your area, to see if they would be interested in larger quantities of the wood. If you have 70 metric tons of olive, you will need outlets that can buy bigger quantities. you might also contact some bigger vendors like: Cook-Woods, West Penn Hardwoods or Amazon Exotic Woods (Orlando, FL).

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
I'd suggest you contact any lumber yards or retail outlets like woodcraft, in your area, to see if they would be interested in larger quantities of the wood. If you have 70 metric tons of olive, you will need outlets that can buy bigger quantities. you might also contact some bigger vendors like: Cook-Woods, West Penn Hardwoods or Amazon Exotic Woods (Orlando, FL).
Woodcraft stores are a good idea. The woodcraft store owner in Tucson buys a lot of wood from folks who haul in various planks, blocks, burls, etc.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
If you haven’t already, Wood World of Texas would be a possibility. I see them at SWAT, and I think they’re based in Dallas. Come to think of it, you could get a booth at SWAT if you’re willing to go the retail route.

Trob115

Reaction score
First name
Trey
Hi everybody!
I mentioned in a previous post that I had a story to tell about finding myself in possession of absurd amounts of olive wood (sorry that's all my posts seem to be about!) I travelled to Jordan last October and came across an olive farm that was uprooting all their trees because they wanted to switch over to a different cultivar of olive. On the day I was visiting they were there hacking it all up into small pieces with a chainsaw. These were old and big trees so there was plenty of very usable wood there! but they were sending it all for firewood! long story short I extended my trip over there and bought up ALL of it. Word got around to other farms and (again, long story short) I bought up theirs as well! In the end I had about 70 metric tons of olive wood logs! I set up an operation over there to dry and mill it all (my friend Leon is over there working on it now, he made a post asking for advice a week ago. I guess we both had the same idea to ask you guys for help!).
Some of it's dry, some of it is almost dry, a lot of it is gonna take a while. so I'm shipping it all to myself in Texas... now for the part I should have thought of sooner... what do I do with it all?! of course ill be making some stuff with it myself, but I assumed id be able to sell the rest. Just not sure how to go about that! I don't think I'm much of an entrepreneur. I've tried calling around to the usual suspects but I'm not really managing to get anyone's attention. I've got/will have boards, turning stock, slabs. Some pretty large sizes too. sharing some pics below. Any advice you guy have (or thoughts or opinions!) are
appreciated!
Thanks for listening! :)
View attachment 202129View attachment 202128View attachment 202130View attachment 202131View attachment 202132View attachment 202133View attachment 202134View attachment 202135View attachment 202136
I would be interested if you have any sizes suitable for turning pot calls.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Late to this thread...wow, did you ever jump!! A couple more ideas that I did not see mentioned unless I over read them: Etsy and Ebay. Not really sure on the Etsy suggestion, but thought I would throw it out.

I am like you; I see what should be a great idea but the business/execution piece can baffle me. Best wishes. I too will be standing in line when you offer up the small boxes, not the truck load.

Don Ratcliff

Hawaiian Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Don
I have a couple thoughts here;
First, amazing score
Second, does the northern discount apply to islanders because I think it sounds right.
Third, a glove is a bad idea for showing scale. I mean if the glove fits me you could be showing tree lengths, if it is a @Tony Glove they are likely pen blanks. I suggest a blue bic lighter should be purchased for showing scale.

:sofa: