What to use when filling large voids

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
I often see table tops with live edges or large voids filled and finished. Sometimes they fill the voids with interesting things like colorful rocks, shells, leaves, ... Then it appears the voids are filled with a clear resin or epoxy or something. What is used? How do I do it? Where can I learn?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I’ve seen several YouTube videos of epoxy or resin filled voids. You might trying searching for ‘river tables’ on YouTube.

I’ve never done it, but the finished look can be quite impressive!

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I revisited the Charles Neil Finishing Room and read responses to a similar post I made a few years ago. Looks like epoxy is the way to go. Will try it. Photos of my planned build will appear here, but it will be quite awhile as I have Connecticut, Florida, Jamaica, and Ireland to visit
A really unique stone house is going up on the Jamaica beach. I will be there in late January and all of February to frame the second floor and roof, and hopefully do more

Any woodbarter craftsmen want to join me??? I can pick you and your spouse up at the Montigo Bay airport. If you will help me, there would be no rent costs! Nice air conditioned place to stay. Your cost would be air fare and food, and an occasional fill up of the car's gas tank. I need someone who is comfortable climbing and able to do such things as cutting rafters, using a nail gun, using a drill to set screws, putting on sheathing,....Construction experience would be helpful!

To comply with the rules of this site, I will only tell the name and location, and a detailed description, of the place we will stay if you pm me. But rest assured, it is clean, safe, and very comfortable. It is on the water, about 50 ft from the Carribean. No sand! But snorkeling is spectacular

whitewaterjay

Reaction score
First name
Jason
I often see table tops with live edges or large voids filled and finished. Sometimes they fill the voids with interesting things like colorful rocks, shells, leaves, ... Then it appears the voids are filled with a clear resin or epoxy or something. What is used? How do I do it? Where can I learn?
Hi Ralph,

I know this is an older post, but I just ran across it.
I do a fair bit of epoxy work, and I use EcoPoxy, it's expensive but I've had better results with it than some of the other brands that are less expensive.

If you've got any specific questions let me know and I'll do what I can to help you out.

Jason

20190126_121039.jpg

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Ralph,

I know this is an older post, but I just ran across it.
I do a fair bit of epoxy work, and I use EcoPoxy, it's expensive but I've had better results with it than some of the other brands that are less expensive.

If you've got any specific questions let me know and I'll do what I can to help you out.

Jason

View attachment 160332
Thanks. I have been so busy, and had so many medical procedures, and traveled so much that I haven’t done any woodworking. But I will. Will keep this information for future reference

whitewaterjay

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Thanks. I have been so busy, and had so many medical procedures, and traveled so much that I haven’t done any woodworking. But I will. Will keep this information for future reference
I hope that you get well soon and back into the shop Ralph