What's cooking?

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of these days.... I too want to learn this craft.

I haven't been doing it as long as others have - I've only been doing stabilizing since October - but I've received a lot of good help and advice from others as I was looking to get going. And I'm always happy to help and share information.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Also, for the record, since October I have gone through 8 or 9 gallons of Cactus Juice. It's fun and addictive and I'm glad that people are liking and buying my blanks, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep on having fun doing this. Next week I'm placing another order for 4 more gallons of Cactus Juice and more dyes...

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Also, for the record, since October I have gone through 8 or 9 gallons of Cactus Juice. It's fun and addictive and I'm glad that people are liking and buying my blanks, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep on having fun doing this. Next week I'm placing another order for 4 more gallons of Cactus Juice and more dyes...
Looks like I'll have to find my wife a job!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I drink a lot of fruit juice smoothies, drink a LOT of coffee bean juice, use fermented and aged jalapeno and tabasco pepper juice as my hot sauces, have some aloe vera juice in the frig (been there 2 years I think), just bought some spalting juice - and now I'm gonna have to be buying cactus juice! Is my world turning upside down - or just around and around?

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  1. Back when I turned some green wood - I took a hint from Ron Kent and used Kirkland's concentrated dishwashing liquid to keep the warping and cracking at bay. It worked often. Plus it kept your hands really clean and soft! AND it was sure less expensive than cactus juice!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
As I was thinking about this part of the thread and thinking a little beyond the normal about the responses by @Mike Hill, I am not so sure that his therapist appreciates you (@Sprung) encouraging his psychosis / psychotic manifestations. But on the other hand, maybe he does. After all, time is money. So I guess you can go ahead and help him (the pshrink) by feeding into his neurological disorder or you can help @Mike by not feeding the illness(es). Your call. Carry on gentlemen.
Shhhhh!!!! - that's my secret.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Finally got back to getting some dye and stabilize done. While I was gone one of my customers called and freaked out because they forgot to order some more stuff. So today I got a half @ss manifold built so I can run two at once, got blanks for 200 items in the chambers and mixed up three gallons of Smurf juice. If all goes well (If I can find an oven) these will all be finished product by the end of the day on Sunday.

2017-07-31 15.33.46.jpg 2017-07-31 15.40.53.jpg

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Short ones like that I can sneak 30 - 40 in my toaster oven. 5"- 6" blanks, maybe 15 - 20. But, I have 2 racks, and my toaster oven is convection as well.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
Short ones like that I can sneak 30 - 40 in my toaster oven. 5"- 6" blanks, maybe 15 - 20. But, I have 2 racks, and my toaster oven is convection as well.

Just picked up a range this evening for 40.00, tested out OK, I need to change the cord to my outlet style but I'll be baking tomorrow afternoon.

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
Just picked up a range this evening for 40.00, tested out OK, I need to change the cord to my outlet style but I'll be baking tomorrow afternoon.
In my experience some ovens don't keep very accurate temp. Make sure to add some kind of external thermometer to test the real temp.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
In my experience some ovens don't keep very accurate temp. Make sure to add some kind of external thermometer to test the real temp.

Already done that, this one hold within 2 degrees of where you set the digital at.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Loaded up the 24" chamber and one of the 12" chambers (6" ID) for their first run after building them. This was after I opened up the front of my vacuum pump and cleaned it out and finished plumbing the chambers and the manifold.

C1.jpg

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I'm guessin he's Lutheran since they're the only preachers I know that make their own moonshine, and belly up to the bar with their flock. And, they're kinda like Catholics, without all the deep knee bends!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Been using the nuts as weights in the stabilizing chamber since the beginning - they work well. Thank goodness they're not the only nuts I have that get used. :sofa:

I'm guessin he's Lutheran since they're the only preachers I know that make their own moonshine, and belly up to the bar with their flock. And, they're kinda like Catholics, without all the deep knee bends!

Lutheran it is!