What's growin in the yard

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
no idea- used to be a huge ponderosa pine there and the birds crapped mountain ash seeds and 25 years later they keep replanting. Probably have 20 of them growing in yard now...

They look nice. It did not look like western Mtn. ash (S. scopulina), lacked shiny leaves, and leave looked to big for European, and to small for American, so was figuring you planted it, and thought maybe 'showey'...but looks to big for it...so wonder I shall.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
They look nice. It did not look like western Mtn. ash (S. scopulina), lacked shiny leaves, and leave looked to big for European, and to small for American, so was figuring you planted it, and thought maybe 'showey'...but looks to big for it...so wonder I shall.
I assume not western but really think I have no clue. wonderful for short lived tree. They replant -rot and replant. Last year there were no berries and this year loaded. The birds will love it come January..

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
These are what's left of my "lemon drop" peppers after making my first batch of hot sauce. In addition to their lemon color, they do have a slight lemon flavor. About the same heat of cayenne, makes for a unique hot sauce.

IMG_3518_edited.jpeg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Everything is ripening in the garden all at once. Started by picking a couple quarts of raspberries, then started about 8 # of sauerkraut from excess early cabbage (can only eat so much slaw), picked enough beans to can a batch, broccoli is ready to be picked and frozen, early sweet corn is ready, enough tomatoes and peppers are ready to make some salsa, and will probably have stuffed peppers tomorrow. Also been eating fresh potatoes for a month, but they store just fine in the ground until fall.

Here's a pic of the sauerkraut in progress. Eight pounds is not enough for the crock I usually use, so put it in two half gallon fermenters I use for small batch fermentation.

View attachment 191786

Tim, I'm curious on the how long you ferment your sauerkraut for? This is the first time I've done sauerkraut (at least on my own - helped someone with their large crock of it some time ago). The guidance I read was 3 to 10 days in the half gallon size, starting to check it each day, beginning on day 3, until it's got the taste you're looking for. That's my current plan, but I am curious what kind of timing you do on yours.

The home fermented sauerkraut I've had has all been vastly superior to the store bought stuff, so I'm looking forward to eating from ours.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I think it was about 3 weeks in the basement on the floor, which was probably around 65°. You will get a little bit of "sour" flavor after few days, but in my opinion, takes 2-3 weeks before it is completely fermented. If yours is in the basement below 70°, I'd start checking it at about 2 weeks. Maybe a little quicker if you have it above 70°.

I wouldn't worry about going too long, it really doesn't degrade in texture or flavor for quite a while. I know in the past, I've gotten busy and forgotten about the kraut, and didn't get around to canning it for two months and it was fine. I can all of mine in a BWB (boiling water bath), rather than keep in the fridge. Loose little of crispness by canning it, but still has much superior flavor.

In case you haven't seen it, here is a link to the National Center for Home Food Preservaton's fermenting page. https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can6a_ferment.html

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Thanks for that, Tim. The 3 to 10 days did seem rather short to me. Our basement is in the upper 60's right now. I'll start checking it in a couple weeks. And glad that I don't have to worry about it going too long. I'll probably put some in the fridge and BWB can the rest.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Thanks for that, Tim. The 3 to 10 days did seem rather short to me. Our basement is in the upper 60's right now. I'll start checking it in a couple weeks. And glad that I don't have to worry about it going too long. I'll probably put some in the fridge and BWB can the rest.

Our's was always in a 30 gallon stone crock. Do it with the new moon and be amazed how much moisture it pulls. Be careful to not go more than 2/3rds full to start. On a full moon the draw is less. We start checking at 14 days, usually can by week 3 of 4. We also used hot water bath.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Years ago in grad school, someone suggested trying a Korean restaurant, never been to one, but I love trying new foods, so went along. They served a small dish of kimchi as an appetizer, it took me about two bites to finish it, they thought I was crazy, but all I wanted was a great big bowl of it!

I now grow everything to make my own (except the ginger), and make a batch or two every fall.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Ok, gonna freeze tomorrow night so might as well make some hot sauce. Those from Texas ought to know these peppers! Chili Pequins - used to pick them from fencerows. Garlic didn't get very big this year for some reason. Had to import the peppers for years until this past - finally found some seeds to buy. Fun to finally have these in my hands. There will be a number of green ones that I will pickle.
1604164341072.png 1604164377033.png

Last edited: