What's next?

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I have started my largest platter to date. It's Black Walnut & I am finding that after drying down to 8% it gets really hard. I use 3M sand paper but I have began to think there may be a better paper out there & I haven't found it yet. What better way to find out than ask hands on people at Wood Barter? This is what I am working on

20191222_101533.jpg

TTP GC

Reaction score
First name
John
Try abranet, I get mine from knottsknives.com

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I've turned a couple of large Walnut bowls where the moisture content was low -- very difficult to sand out divots from turning tools! Takes forever, seemingly... Haven't tried Abranet, but sounds promising. Let us know how it works for you. Chuck

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
I have not done many bowls yet, but Abranet is definitely my go to for sanding. Lasts much longer and if it starts clogging up, just a quick thump with the fingers loosens the dust and it falls out. Another source is Vince's Wood N Wonders. That is where I have ordered mine so you have some price comparisons. He caters to the wood turning world and has a lot of other sanding items.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
whathesaid I'm with John, Vince's is my go-to place for turning sandpaper.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Just for price comparison, here are two versions I bought before from amazon. Seems to work well.

Link 1

Link2

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've turned a couple of large Walnut bowls where the moisture content was low -- very difficult to sand out divots from turning tools! Takes forever, seemingly... Haven't tried Abranet, but sounds promising. Let us know how it works for you. Chuck
Today I put the Abaranet sand paper to the test today. Amazing, beyond amazing, is all I can say. Wish I had known about this stuff years ago. It's a bit more costly than the 3M, but the finish it can turn out is worth every penny. I have a few pictures of what it did for me on this small Black Walnut bowl, but they are on my other device. Watching some good games tonight but first thing in the morning I am going to post them up. Without any finish on it, it has a shine just raw wood. Like a kid when I got my first ---? Bicycle, I think

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Today I put the Abaranet sand paper to the test today. Amazing, beyond amazing, is all I can say. Wish I had known about this stuff years ago. It's a bit more costly than the 3M, but the finish it can turn out is worth every penny. I have a few pictures of what it did for me on this small Black Walnut bowl, but they are on my other device. Watching some good games tonight but first thing in the morning I am going to post them up. Without any finish on it, it has a shine just raw wood. Like a kid when I got my first ---? Bicycle, I think

20200104_161558.jpg

20200104_161548.jpg

20200104_161538.jpg

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
After looking at them I couldn't stop myself from applying some oil to it just to see the woodgrain.

20200104_163301.jpg

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Just for price comparison, here are two versions I bought before from amazon. Seems to work well.

Link 1

Link2
Thank's for the tip on both links. Most diffently will check these out. From what I have seen lately, the mesh type of sanding seems to be the way to go. Thank You again

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
The Abranet sandpaper is most likely the best I have ever used. The only thing yet to see is, how well it hold it's usefulness

Mark.

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I got to admit that the end of sanding I used a old pare of welding gloves to buff it out. That is what I do to all my bowls after sanding, none of them came out as smooth as this one

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
I haven'ttried abranet yet. Walnut can be challenging.
I had the same lathe for a while---liked it but had the opportunity to upgrade a while back. Remember changing belts.