Who has made a wooden hand plane before?

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
I am thinking heavily about trying to make my own low angle smoother. I was thinking Krenov style to start instead of jumping in over my head like I normally do. Does anybody have any advice for building or for iron sources.
Thanks

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
As far as irons a few come to mind, Lee valley, veritas, wood craft for hock blades.
Never built one, maybe @Brink has.

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
I inherited two Veritas planes from my step father and they work good. Last year he treated me to a class at the Institute for Fine Woodworking in Ft. Bragg CA where we had to make our own hand planes. We used the Hock irons and I have to say, these planes that I made myself work so much better than the Veritas. The Hock irons hold an edge really well.

ClintW

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
Made a Krenov style scrub plane as a first try. Haven't gotten around to the next yet.

As far as low angle, I am not sure with a wood plane that it is safe to go much below the standard 45 degrees . Just a thought.

Double iron replacement plane blade would work well. Or shape and heat treat your own single iron plane.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Found this one the other night... Entirely too cool!!

Simple easy build for you here Les.

ClintW

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
This is one I made in a weekend. Blade is removed, made from a piece if high carbon steel.

The Krenov method is really simple it gives a nice workable tool. When I do it again, I will make a traditional style handle or more of a coffin smoother style. The way these are suppose to gripped doesn't work well for me.
IMG_20160428_215253064.jpg

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Watch the Japanese guys I'm the video above, you're supposed to drag them not push. May make the hold a little better, but there was another video on YouTube that Incorporated handle like a handsaw that was sweet.

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watch the Japanese guys I'm the video above, you're supposed to drag them not push. May make the hold a little better, but there was another video on YouTube that Incorporated handle like a handsaw that was sweet.
Pretty much all Japanese tools seem to cut on the pull stroke which makes sense pulling is almost always easier than pushing and with saws it automatically keeps the blade straight and prevents binding. I love Japanese woodworking, those guys are crazy precise.