Willow Burl

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Welcome to WB, Scott. Hornbeam is a great wood for mallets, mauls, tool handles, etc. As for willow, in my 40 years of buying and selling lumber, I've never seen it. Also have never heard of it being used in furniture. So, IMO, its highest and best use in the world is like Kevin said, to make oxygen and absorb CO2 while it holds the creek bank in place. Have any of the turners on here ever used it for a bowl or anything?

Black willow was commonly used in furniture for similar uses as tulip poplar. As environmental laws were enacted, the harvest of these trees became more costly than the trees and then quickly fell out of use. White willow and other tree sized willows often are used in pallet and crating, similar to much of the 'aspen' group. My brother just bought a few hundred feet of white willow at an auction last fall. He mentioned using it for paint grade trim. He has not done anything with it yet.

David_CinciOH

Reaction score
First name
David
Wow! That's an huge and beautiful tree. I grew up near Battle Creek (Athens / East Leroy). I miss having all the lakes around. Not that it's a terrible drive from Cincinnati, but with kid's stuff going on, it gets too busy to go back much.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Lots of willows like that around by me. Most of the time the wood is pretty bland with swirly grain and possibly some curly Ray's in it.

If it's on a creek I would leave it for bank stabilization. If it falls in the creek it creates great woody habitat for fish. I hate to tell ya but it's not a high value item.

Welcome from Muskegon!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Howdy Scott, welcome to the club....

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Welcome Scott from Colorado. What an introduction...…...and please stick around, we might just entice you into an entirely new world!!!