Winged Vase— start and build

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
That looks like it has potential, good use for it. I probably would have put it in the fire wood pile. Guess you didn't need the heat. It's 62 outside this morning and 69 in the house. Was thinking about starting a fire but it seems like a lot of work so I guess I will look for a sweat shirt.

Similar here, 55 outside, 69 inside. That vase does look good.

ebill

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Finally got it smooth enough so I thought I’d try my sealing mix to see where I needed to sand yet more. My sealing mix is secret (Shhhhh—- WOP with a little BLO)—makes the grain pop and shows which places need attention. Seems some tool marks showed on the outside of wings—rats!— but discovered that will have to do targeted sanding since the wood moved a little— enough to make me not use a gouge or scraper.
At least the turquoise looks nice.
Now to make a jam chuck so I can turn the bottom to what I want.

Hmmm, guess my phone and the upload are 90 degrees off.

View attachment 193248

View attachment 193249

View attachment 193250

View attachment 193251

ebill

Reaction score
First name
Bill
- ugh, misfire quote above.Apologies all.

- winged pieces never get smooth on the wing either inside or outside as you are mostly cutting 'air' and making a smooth tool transition from wing to wing is nigh on impossible. Maybe Raffan could do it, but thats not me for sure ...... <g> Sadly, hand sanding <and usually lots of it> is the only way <for me> to get a good smooth finish on the wings.

- ebill

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
- ugh, misfire quote above.Apologies all.

- winged pieces never get smooth on the wing either inside or outside as you are mostly cutting 'air' and making a smooth tool transition from wing to wing is nigh on impossible. Maybe Raffan could do it, but thats not me for sure ...... <g> Sadly, hand sanding <and usually lots of it> is the only way <for me> to get a good smooth finish on the wings.

- ebill
I'm not a great turner and have never attemted anything with wings but a thought did come to mind on the sanding issue. Would a angle grinder with a flap sanding disk work?

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Dave and Bill, it can be done, but the leading edges will always get more sanding than the trailing edges. I just did one a few minutes ago, but stopped my interior sanding when I got to air. Then, hand sanding. It gives you incentive to get better with your gouges..... Jerry (in Tucson)