Winter 2021 Turning and Woodworking challenge

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mesdames et messieurs, je vous propose ma participation au concours: la Tour Eiffel.

The base is a piece of box elder which had almost no flame; inset in the box lid is a piece of decorative acrylic acetate, circled by a ring of brass powder fused with super-thin CA. I'm not sure what wood the finial is (there's a piece left over, I should clean up the end grain and post a pic in the Wood ID forum). I burned the pattern of girders on the base with a pyrography tool, then airbrushed over (using Frisket to mask off the different areas as I went.)

View attachment 219107
View attachment 219108
View attachment 219109
Wow, very nice and unique box

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I guess I didn’t pay you enough to not enter :lol2:

awesome piece and execution!!!

Sorry Lou, must have been lost in the mail :whatever:

Do you think if we pooled our savings we could persuade him to withdraw his entry?

Hey, the holidays are rapidly approaching, and they say it's better to give than receive... I'd be OK to be on the receiving end if that would make everyone feel better!:wink:

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
If mods permit... @ripjack13 , I'd like to extend entry deadline to Dec 25 and voting to Dec 30. I figure alot of folks still finishing up gifts (self included) that may include applicable entries to the challenge.

Last edited:

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Yea, I’m kinda late but here’s mine. Maple finials and dyed maple body. Hollowed out to about 1/8” thick. Overall height 6-1/2”

48B9A2FE-0E67-42D7-9ACB-8025F75E60D2.jpeg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Pretty ornament and great dye job!

I like the combination of colors you used to get the reddish brown, very attractive color.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Well done by everyone!

Unfortunately I got unexpectedly pulled out of town and wasn't able to complete mine, but am looking forward to voting and the next contest.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Well done by everyone!

Unfortunately I got unexpectedly pulled out of town and wasn't able to complete mine, but am looking forward to voting and the next contest.
Hey Steve, I extended entry till Dec 25 if that helps!

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Hey Steve, I extended entry till Dec 25 if that helps!
Definitely helps, but it may not be enough as I don't get back until Thursday night. Santa's elfs may be staying up late on Christmas Eve!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
If mods permit... @ripjack13 , I'd like to extend entry deadline to Dec 25 and voting to Dec 30. I figure alot of folks still finishing up gifts (self included) that may include applicable entries to the challenge.
No problem.