Wood ID help

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
This wavy growth ring pattern might be obvious to some of you. Just saw a few logs in the parking lot of a local golf course and snapped a couple pics. Rainy here so wood is wet. Log diameter about 12”.

IMG_4926.jpeg IMG_4927.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
One of the species of Elm? Possibly Syberian Elm.
Doesn't seem possible, given the strong rays (these do not occur in elm) and the growth ring pattern.

Very likely it is some kind of white oak. Here's about a 1.5" wide pic of a white oak core. Note the rays and the indented type of growth rings. Neither or these are present in elm

1712094687234.png

Last edited:

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I say for sure oak, but not white as in Q. alba. Find any acorns or leaves to help?
I’ll swing by tomorrow (hopefully) and grab a chunk, or two. Will help to get a better pic and rip the log in half.
No branches (or leaves) as they probably chipped-up when the tree was cut down.
The groundskeeper told me a couple years ago they pile up the logs during the winter months and call in a tree service company, to come and pick up, in “the spring”…… so soon.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I’ll swing by tomorrow (hopefully) and grab a chunk, or two. Will help to get a better pic and rip the log in half.
No branches (or leaves) as they probably chipped-up when the tree was cut down.
The groundskeeper told me a couple years ago they pile up the logs during the winter months and call in a tree service company, to come and pick up, in “the spring”…… so soon.
And look for acorns....

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
The variant colors and the bark still tell me Siberian Elm
As far as color goes, that's a reasonable analysis, but you CANNOT ignore the rays. It CANNOT be elm.

1712110912913.png

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few more pics. Most of the native White Oaks here in Northern IL are predominantly Quercus alba and Bur Oak, along with some Swamp White Oak and Chinkapin Oak.
This came from a golf course and wasn’t “that big” to necessarily be a native Oak to our area. No branches/leaves or acorns in vicinity of logs.
Thanks for checking it out
@phinds
@Mr. Peet

IMG_4929.jpeg IMG_4930.jpeg IMG_4932.jpeg IMG_4933.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Can't be positive but there SEEM to be enough open pores that it is likely that this is red oak. A blow-up of one section:
1712267525542.png

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Although it's not as common in red oak, there ARE red oak species that have the same characteristics around the pith. Here's one:
1712267768581.png

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I was thinking Willow oak, but was waiting for acorns as it is nearly impossible to clean them all up. So I will stop at "oak" for now. Very strange being a smaller tree on a golf coarse that it was not mapped and ID'ed at one time. I know most PGA courses are mapped and detailed with tree, shrub and grass identifications along with slope and aspect maps. Some of the courses I've been on are overwhelming analyzed.

That was my poor way of saying, I bet someone at the course knows your answer. Good luck.

Izak

Reaction score
First name
Isaac
I recently came across some Apricot that had very orange sapwood when exposed to O2, and similar sandstone/cream variegation, your piece is probably a little big to be Cot though.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I recently came across some Apricot that had very orange sapwood when exposed to O2, and similar sandstone/cream variegation, your piece is probably a little big to be Cot though.
The size of the rays discount Apricot as a choice. The strong ring porous nature also excludes Apricot.