Wood rings

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I made my wife and I's wedding bands, used 2 piece stainless steel cores from Bangle Guy. not too difficult, except for the CA finish part, that always gives me fits...

Rustburger

Reaction score
First name
James
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I made my wife and I's wedding bands, used 2 piece stainless steel cores from Bangle Guy. not too difficult, except for the CA finish part, that always gives me fits...
Yeah, I have a friend who is getting married next month and has asked me to make one. I am not overly impressed with the solid wood ones from a long term durability aspect but the two piece ring cores seem to be a good compromise between a factory made one and handmade with good long term durability.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I’ve done titanium and stainless cores from bangle guy. They’re pretty straight forward.

I haven’t found a finish that will really hold up to frequent hand washing, but they’re easy to refinish.

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
I’ve done titanium and stainless cores from bangle guy. They’re pretty straight forward.

I haven’t found a finish that will really hold up to frequent hand washing, but they’re easy to refinish.

Doc, have you ever tried the UV finish?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Doc, have you ever tried the UV finish?
That’s one that I haven’t tried, but I’ve thought about buying some for fishing lures at some point... if I do, I’ll try it on a ring.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I have used the two piece stainless,one piece stainless and titanium and have used the ceramic. I like the ceramic because its black,but have had good luck with all of them. I get mine from ring supplies and craft supplies.

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I just finished this one today, Used the 2 piece stainless core that screws together from Craft Supplies. I worked well, During the past couple years I've made about 50 of these, with various cores. Easy to make, but I'm still looking for the perfect finish..

1659464333647.png

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Have you thought about an adapted cup turner and laying a thicker finish on then starting it moving so it doesn't drip?
Disclaimer; I have never done nor seen done most of the oddball things that pop into my mind...

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Do you think maybe Barb or one of the other cup turning folks here has tried that? I know she was doing some sort of cup turning device for those mugs. What about it @Barb ?
No I’ve never tried that for a ring. Might be worth a try next time I make one. I don’t use one of the cup turning devices though. My lathe turns all the way down to 50 rpm which is slow enough.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I use the motor from an old circular chart from my refinery days. It turns about 2 rpm. I use it to apply epoxy to fishing rod thread wraps. It works fine for keeping the epoxy level and smooth. But I wouldn't recommend epoxy for the coating on a ring. It's way too soft, scratches easily and usually dulls over time. I think many layers of thin, hard, clear finish is the way to go.