Wood to Trade for Stabilization

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Ok folks here is what I would like to do. I have 6 pieces of wood I would like to trade to have two pieces stabilized/dyed so I can make a couple of pot calls. The pieces I have are what I think are spalted Bradford Pear root (4 pieces), Black Cherry Burl (1 piece) and Oak burl (?). Measurements on sticky notes.

The two pieces I want stabilized/dyed (just green, just blue, whatever). If dying and stabilization is 2 separate processes then just stabilize.I pay shipping to you and I pay shipping back to me (just let me know paypal (I think will fit in a flat rate med. box) for the 2 pieces.

Hopefully there are enough photos for you to make a decision. If more photos needed just let me know.

[email protected]

IMG_2022[1].JPG

IMG_2023[1].JPG

IMG_2024[1].JPG

IMG_2025[1].JPG

IMG_2026[1].JPG

Last edited:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@TurkeyHunter , Mike, first and foremost, I am not the man for this job yet!!!!

But, and please don't let me hijack your thread, but I have always been curious as to the process of stabilizing and then casting. I mean, duh, you stabilize, then you put it in a form and cast; got that part. But the little (very, very little) stabilizing I have done leaves some fluid on the uneven pieces of the wood such as voids and such. If it is say a uniform piece, then you sand down to the wood as prep and then cast. Then again, guess there wasn't much need to cast. Was wondering if anyone would share how they go about casting after stabilizing so you get solid color to the wood (or even clear) and don't have this partial stabilizing material?? Hope I wrote this correctly. Not trying to gain proprietary knowledge, just general info. Mike, you may know the answer is why I put this here.

Thank you

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@TurkeyHunter , Mike, first and foremost, I am not the man for this job yet!!!!

But, and please don't let me hijack your thread, but I have always been curious as to the process of stabilizing and then casting. I mean, duh, you stabilize, then you put it in a form and cast; got that part. But the little (very, very little) stabilizing I have done leaves some fluid on the uneven pieces of the wood such as voids and such. If it is say a uniform piece, then you sand down to the wood as prep and then cast. Then again, guess there wasn't much need to cast. Was wondering if anyone would share how they go about casting after stabilizing so you get solid color to the wood (or even clear) and don't have this partial stabilizing material?? Hope I wrote this correctly. Not trying to gain proprietary knowledge, just general info. Mike, you may know the answer is why I put this here.

Thank you
Great question! I don’t know anything about stabilization and casting other than dry wood, keep cool, soak/vacuum juice till no bubbles, remove and bake.

isaacrapelje

Reaction score
First name
Isaac
Try leaving your stuff out to air dry/drip. I put mine on a metal mesh to drip dry for a day or two maybe more and it really cuts down on the excess fluid. Also make sure you oven is at the recommended temperature or it will cause excess resin to bleed out.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
For those wondering... stabilizing with color (or not) and then casting is a TON of work! That's not even mentioning the money aspect...

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
If I am out of line let me know. The color does not have to be fancy like I have seen, just a simple color and it does not have to be bright (in fact just a hint of color is better). I can cast at home so how about just stabilizing the 2 pieces?

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Find anyone to trade with yet? Some of those pieces could make some cool blanks. I can't remember who all casts on here.

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Find anyone to trade with yet? Some of those pieces could make some cool blanks. I can't remember who all casts on here.
No. I realize that casting may be too much so only looking for stabilizing.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I only have clear but can run them for ya when I get some more juice. You can always dye them any color after final shape is turned.

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I would love to get a color. A simple blue or green. I have already left town to go turkey hunting but can box and ship Monday.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Very nice. Just like to add that it's things like this that make this forum so valuable to me. The ability to connect with people and get some help with a project...kudos to the moderators.

TurkeyHunter

ML Turkey Calls
Reaction score
First name
Mike
The Duck Call was also from some stuff Don made for me. The photo is not as nice as the call is.

IMG_3811.JPG