phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Just for grins, I looked up my shop mask to see if it was any good at all against the corona virus and because I didn't believe the results at first, I checked it out extensively on the internet AND called my doctor and asked him about it.

Long story short, this mask, which I've been using for at least 10 years probably more like 20, is not only good against the virus it's better than what the doctors and nurses are using while treating contagious patients. They use an N95, where the "N" means non-oil-based particulate matter. This is a P100 which means it filters better AND the "P" is for particulate because it handles both oil-based and non-oil based.

Want to buy one? Too late. 3M is only supplying them now to governments and hospitals. Same for Amazon, etc. But if you happen to already use one, you're in luck if you need a mask.

From Amazon's page:

upload_2020-3-31_19-32-45.png

Sorry about this extra image. I can't get it to go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Great information. I have a similar one and was wondering. I’ll have to check mine out closer. Thanks for sharing!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Nice. I have a few in my shop somewhere.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I fixed the extra image Paul. I think mine is a 3M, need to check on that.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I fixed the extra image Paul. I think mine is a 3M, need to check on that.
How did you DO that? I keep forgetting how to get rid of extra images. I've had this a couple of times now and always get help and STILL manage to forget.

As for the mask, not all 3M masks are automatically good for the virus. You want it to be P100 rated.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
How did you DO that? I keep forgetting how to get rid of extra images. I've had this a couple of times now and always get help and STILL manage to forget.

As for the mask, not all 3M masks are automatically good for the virus. You want it to be P100 rated.

When you go into Edit, scroll all the way to the bottom and it says More Options. Click on that and you go delete pictures from there.

My mask is a 3M 7501. I couldn't find a rating for it.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
When you go into Edit, scroll all the way to the bottom and it says More Options. Click on that and you go delete pictures from there.

My mask is a 3M 7501. I couldn't find a rating for it.
Probably don’t get ratings on the mask but on the filters used. I have one also, but if you’ve ever been professionally fitted for a mask like these, having a beard that prevents tight fit to your skin diminishes its effectiveness.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Probably don’t get ratings on the mask but on the filters used. I have one also, but if you’ve ever been professionally fitted for a mask like these, having a beard that prevents tight fit to your skin diminishes its effectiveness.

I'm good then, just a mustache!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Got one also. Keep the P100 filters on it most of the time, but also have cartridges for use when I'm doing a lot of pesticide spraying.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Thanks. I've GOT to write that down somewhere.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@Tony Tim is right, it's the filter that gets rated unless somehow you have a mask with a filter that can't be replaced.

Mike Mills

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I use the 3M P100 (100% effective) and also have the P95 (95%) effective. Like these.
www.amazon.com/3M-P100-Disposable-Particulate-Respirator/dp/B001BXRRH4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3FD9YBO2ONF8J&keywords=3m+respirator+mask+p100&qid=1585710514&sprefix=3m+respirator+%2Caps%2C567&sr=8-7
They are rated for 160 hours use but I normally toss them after about 50 hours, that's still a lot of sanding time.
The 95's did run about $2.25 and the 100's about $7. About the same $$$ as replacement filter types without the added weight.

As you can tell by my picture I don't have a beard.

barefoot

Reaction score
First name
Carla
Well, I don't have a beard either. Or a mustache. Do have a 3M respirator and use P100 filters.
Volunteered to wear my respirator to my doctor's office early on when everybody was twitchy about masks. Doc said "No. I think you would scare my other patients to death." (My Darth Vader look.)

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Just for grins, I looked up my shop mask to see if it was any good at all against the corona virus and because I didn't believe the results at first, I checked it out extensively on the internet AND called my doctor and asked him about it.

Long story short, this mask, which I've been using for at least 10 years probably more like 20, is not only good against the virus it's better than what the doctors and nurses are using while treating contagious patients. They use an N95, where the "N" means non-oil-based particulate matter. This is a P100 which means it filters better AND the "P" is for particulate because it handles both oil-based and non-oil based.

Want to buy one? Too late. 3M is only supplying them now to governments and hospitals. Same for Amazon, etc. But if you happen to already use one, you're in luck if you need a mask.

From Amazon's page:

View attachment 183529

Sorry about this extra image. I can't get it to go away.
View attachment 183530
It appears that these are now available again, if I'm not mistaken. Chuck

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Buy a case or two. Order a crate of rhinestones, sequins, fancy ribbon, and glitter. Fire up the old hot glue gun and go to town. Make a fortune when the next variant comes out.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
It appears that these are now available again, if I'm not mistaken. Chuck
Yeah, I think they've been back on the general market for some time now.

Adam Wager

Reaction score
First name
Adam
Have one of those as well. Probably not a medical grade seal over my beard, so in the even of a true apocalypse, I would likely stick with my full face supplied air respirator.