Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Been out of the shop for awhile, working a lot of hours again. I threw my back out yesterday so it may be awhile before I can get back on this. That sucks, I was making really good progress in my spare time. I miss my shop time.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Being you have similar holes to clean out on similar legs, would it be worth using a fence guide for your router and plowing some of the excess before chiseling? Think my router lets me go 2 inches deep, that would be 4 inches. It also sets up clean edges on both sides allowing you to use the drill guide to hog out more material from the middle.

Hope your back gets better soon. I popped my elbow out reaching too fast. Never heard of such, some tenon damage. Can't do a lot. Wife has really has stepped up to help, ashamed to be in the position. Not even old yet. She is ready so off to assist. Have a great weekend however you can.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Being you have similar holes to clean out on similar legs, would it be worth using a fence guide for your router and plowing some of the excess before chiseling?
That's a possibility, but I would have to purchase a deep bit as I dont have one that goes very deep.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
That's a possibility, but I would have to purchase a deep bit as I dont have one that goes very deep.
You can buy a bit extender pretty cheaply. I have found mine to be stable & easy to use with my 1/2" plunge router. router+bit+extension

EDIT: that link is not to mine. You want to make sure you get one with no runout. Also, they are no good w/ even remotely narrow bits since the collet chuck is fairly big. I use mine with a 1" diameter bit. Haven't tried it with a spoilboard bit.

Last edited:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I've made some pretty respectable mortises with a 1/2" strait cut router bit with a plywood template and guide bushing. You have to take it a little bit at a time by increasing the depth of cut around 1/2" per pass. I make my templates from 1/4" plywood and screw it in place, you could clamp it but clamps sometimes slip and make a big mess. Probably you wouldn't get depth enough but maybe a good start.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I've made some pretty respectable mortises with a 1/2" strait cut router bit with a plywood template and guide bushing. You have to take it a little bit at a time by increasing the depth of cut around 1/2" per pass. I make my templates from 1/4" plywood and screw it in place, you could clamp it but clamps sometimes slip and make a big mess. Probably you wouldn't get depth enough but maybe a good start.
That's pretty much what I am planing at this time. Buying the bushings etc to do it. Plus kinda gave my back some time to heal up. I have a garage renovation project coming up and by then I should have the tools needed to get back on the bench build, I really need to get it done. Life happens sometimes it seems.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
That's pretty much what I am planing at this time. Buying the bushings etc to do it. Plus kinda gave my back some time to heal up. I have a garage renovation project coming up and by then I should have the tools needed to get back on the bench build, I really need to get it done. Life happens sometimes it seems.
If you can come up with a very accurate template system you could go at it from both sides, probably wouldn't leave much hand work in the center. Back pain is the worst, I can go for months and sometimes years with very few problems. Then out of nowhere it happens. Hope yours heals quickly.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
If you can come up with a very accurate template system you could go at it from both sides, probably wouldn't leave much hand work in the center. Back pain is the worst, I can go for months and sometimes years with very few problems. Then out of nowhere it happens. Hope yours heals quickly.
That's the plan, I'll go about half way on each side. Should only have the corners left to chisel out.