Work bench casters

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Ordered these on Amazon for my work bench/assembly table. I made it a little bit big for the space but figured having it movable would make it manageable. Pretty happy with the casters, they are supposed to be good for 600 pounds but I have my doubts. Guess my bench with two vices and a few tools might be a couple hundred think another couple hundred would be ok. The screws that came with them are junk, if you don't strip the phillips slot the head will twist off. I just toss them and used some square drive deck screws. All and all a good set of casters for under $30.

IMG_20201231_085940190.jpg

IMG_20201231_085952851.jpg

IMG_20201231_090006067.jpg

IMG_20201231_090038163.jpg

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
That is a good deal. I was thinking about building a mobile base for my band saw to make it less tippy and I think those would work. Currently I have a sheet of plywood directly under the base section and wheels bolted to that. Do have an actual link to them? Thanks

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I could probably find a link but if you search Amazon for work bench casters they should pop right up. I also found them at rockler and other places. Amazon was the best price that I found. I'm sure they would work to build a mobile base.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Only thing I don't like about the placement of these casters is that they are potential trip hazards at the corners of your bench. Mounting on the interior side of the legs might have avoided this. Nonetheless, having a mobile bench is awesome! Chuck

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
One lesson I learned the hard way about casters is to make sure the material the wheels are made of will stand up to the weight. Over time, soft plastic wheels flatten on one side which makes them hard to roll when you want to move it.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Only thing I don't like about the placement of these casters is that they are potential trip hazards at the corners of your bench. Mounting on the interior side of the legs might have avoided this. Nonetheless, having a mobile bench is awesome! Chuck
That is why I faced them to the ends of the bench where I have 10” of overhang. Thought about inside but didn't think it would work as well for me. The really don't protrude much when they are in the wheel up position.

Last edited:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
One lesson I learned the hard way about casters is to make sure the material the wheels are made of will stand up to the weight. Over time, soft plastic wheels flatten on one side which makes them hard to roll when you want to move it.
These are pretty hard material I think they may be skate board wheels shouldn't be a issue since they only bear wt when the bench is being moved.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
That is why I faced them to the ends of the bench where I have 10” of overhang. Thought about inside but didn't think it would work as well for me. The really don't protrude much when they are in the wheel up position.
Forgot about the overhang, and the wheel up position when not being moved. That will help. Chuck