• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Workbench Build

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
That is a beautiful bench! Is it a bit top heavy, though? Chuck

While it is heavier at the top, it isn't what I would consider top heavy. It's very stable. Many, many workbenches are built in similar manner - with a big, thick, heavy top. The legs on this are stout, and the stretchers are good sized as well. There are also no large overhangs that could yield near enough leverage to tip the bench if you put something heavy on an edge or end. So, yes, most of the weight is up top, but it's not top heavy in the way you would think of top heavy - tippy or unstable. If I build a cabinet to go under the bench, the cabinet, filled with tools, would add more weight down lower.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Absolutely phenomenal bench Matt. Will that first scratch or ding bum you out - like a new truck?

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Fantastic build. A nice work bench has been on my wish list for the last 40 something years. Maybe one of these days. Thanks for the inspiration.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
How did you get in my head and steal my vision? :sarcastic: That's pretty much what I want to do when I build mine. Only thing I might do different is add a tool tray, but that's not etched in stone yet, or should I say etched in ash. Bench looks great Matt! Well done sir.:good2::cool:

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Missed this until just now! That is too cool. Love the puck feet. Soooo...... immensely superior to my pickup tailgate

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Well, the finish has had some time to cure. Today I had someone help me move it into place. I levelled it and mounted the vise.

90.jpg

And dog holes will probably happen sooner, rather than later. I ordered a 3/4" Wood Owl bit - which I've seen some recommend for drilling dog holes - and a guide bushing that I'll use in a jig I'll build to give me precise hole placement - and with the guide bushing the holes will be straight, not at an angle.

91.jpg

I ran the bit through a scrap piece to test how it drilled. It drilled fast - and with virtually no tear out. This is the back side of the hole. What's nice is that I won't need to use a backer board under the top when I drill out the dog holes.

92.jpg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I remember reading some time ago of people using a special bit to drill dog holes, so I went searching and found mentions of that one. At $20 it wasn't the cheapest drill bit I've ever bought, but I've used enough cheap drill bits to realize that sometimes it's worth it to buy a better bit.

I will probably drill a few more test holes before I use it on the bench, but I was very pleased with it on the one test hole thus far.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I remember reading some time ago of people using a special bit to drill dog holes, so I went searching and found mentions of that one. At $20 it wasn't the cheapest drill bit I've ever bought, but I've used enough cheap drill bits to realize that sometimes it's worth it to buy a better bit.

I will probably drill a few more test holes before I use it on the bench, but I was very pleased with it on the one test hole thus far.
Will you please post pictures of your jig also? I don’t think I have ever drilled a straight hole except maybe on the lathe......

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Will you please post pictures of your jig also? I don’t think I have ever drilled a straight hole except maybe on the lathe......

Yup! Will do so whenever I build/use it. This will be a purpose built jig built specifically to drill the dog holes. Anything that needs a good/straight hole usually gets drilled on the drill press or, occasionally, the lathe. That's not an option with this!

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
For an auger bit, that sure made a clean exit. Impressed. Drilling holes in a bench top like this reminded me of an incident happened in the wood shop in high school. They got some new benches and Mr. Holloway, the other shop teacher besides my Dad, was drilling the holes to install the vices. He was using a big 3/4" drive drill motor, the kind with two handles sticking out from the sides. He accidentally hit one of the steel braces that ran along the underside of the bench. The drill bit stopped, the motor kept spinning. The cord wrapped around Mr. Holloway's wrist snapping the bones.