Working on a new AR

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is finally coming together. Haven't weighed it but it seems pretty light for a rifle length ar ,I am really happy with the slim key mod handguard. Just lacking sights and the muzzle brake. Brake has been shipped and I have some sights that will work for now. IMG_20200831_160601298.jpg

IMG_20200831_160714884.jpg

IMG_20200831_160727888.jpg

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
The fluted bbl looks nice. I need to go to keymod. Mine is on the hefty side with a quad rail. What brake did you get? Is that the Gunfighter charging handle?

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I ended up buying a 20 brake on ebay. Everything I liked from the usual suppliers was out of stock or stupid money. $20 for a nice looking ss brake was hard to pass up. The charging handle is just a no name from a company called just rails, got the handguard there also. Very good prices and fast shipping. I had a quad rail on my last ar and didn't care for it. Key mod feels better to my hand and it came with more rail sections that I will ever use. It's all ready to go now I am getting anxious to try it out. Hopefully the brake, adjustable gas block, and drop in trigger will combine to make a smooth shooter.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Well I couldn't control myself, I was going to wait until I had time to put up some proper targets but I gave in and let a couple go into the Hill behind the house. The trigger is awesome and as I had hoped for the muzzle rise and felt recoil is about as close to zero as you can get. Now I need to put it on paper and adjust the gas block. I had the gas system turned off today and fired it single shot.

Last edited:

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
Are you going to run a suppressor? Just curious as for why the adjustable gas block. Are you going to tune it to a specific load?

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
@Ray D , Ray, I was late to the AR platform as well. But when Colorado did the magazine limit I ran out and got one before the ban went into effect. I have really enjoyed it, have done a little customizing on it to learn a bit more, and I want to build one that will be special. @sprucegum , Dave, looks like fun!!!!! I have a friend that just had an AR-10 built for one of the newer rounds folks are going to which are similar to the .308. Going blank on the cartridge right now...seems to becoming pretty regular for me these days!!
You're probably thinking about the 300 Blackout. Essentially a cutback 308 case. Seem to be popular in the very short barrel platforms, nothing special for long range use but OK for up close and personal.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
My barrel came today I'm pleased. From the looks of my check book balance I think I better hold off on the handguard, flash hider and gas block.

View attachment 189909

View attachment 189910
That's a purty looking barrel... What twist rate did you get?

Edit; Just realized this was a resurected older thread... How are you liking the .223 Wylde?

Last edited:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I used the adjustable gas block so that I could tune it for my handloads, by cutting the gas back to the minimum needed to work the action muzzle rise is kept to a minimum. Less muzzle rise makes for faster target acquisition and faster follow up shots, the gun is pretty heavy, and the combination of lower gas, effective muzzle brake, and weight makes it a nice target/varmint rifle. The .223 Wylde seems to perform equally well with my .223 data hand loads, and factory loaded 5.56. I honestly have not shot it as much as I'd like to, my grandson's interest in hunting and shooting seems to have come alive this past deer season, he now has a Ruger youth model bolt gun in .350 Legend that costs a small fortune to shoot. Hoping to get him to the range more this summer for some low-cost practice with my AR and my cheap hand loads. I may even make him clean primer pockets and trim cases if he wants to shoot up my ammo.

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
224 valkerie, 6.8 Western, 6.5... so many flavors to choose from.

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
I used the adjustable gas block so that I could tune it for my handloads, by cutting the gas back to the minimum needed to work the action muzzle rise is kept to a minimum. Less muzzle rise makes for faster target acquisition and faster follow up shots, the gun is pretty heavy, and the combination of lower gas, effective muzzle brake, and weight makes it a nice target/varmint rifle. The .223 Wylde seems to perform equally well with my .223 data hand loads, and factory loaded 5.56. I honestly have not shot it as much as I'd like to, my grandson's interest in hunting and shooting seems to have come alive this past deer season, he now has a Ruger youth model bolt gun in .350 Legend that costs a small fortune to shoot. Hoping to get him to the range more this summer for some low-cost practice with my AR and my cheap hand loads. I may even make him clean primer pockets and trim cases if he wants to shoot up my ammo.
I built a 308 two years ago. They are a blast but I had soooo many issues with cycling. I had an adjustable block on but took it off due to being a single shot semi auto, don’t get that confused with full semi auto like the news did haha. I bought the adjustable buffer long story short after dissembling and reassembling more times than I can count I ripped that off and put on a regular one. Still didn’t fix the issue. I tried everything including a different lower still had issues, it would not cycle. Everything was torqued properly and everything was installed correctly which had me so baffled. It wasn’t the ammo that ran fine in my buddies rifle.. come to find out after taking the barrel off I measured the gas port and it was to small. Drilled that thing out and now she runs like a champ. I’m actually going to rip her apart again to put that adjustable gas block back on to tone her down a bit as she launches the casings lol.

What break is that? I put a gama vg6 on and love it. The people to the left and right of me hate it but she shoots so smooth for a 308

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
What break is that? I put a gama vg6 on and love it. The people to the left and right of me hate it but she shoots so smooth for a 308
Haha it's a eBay special, I built this during COVID when you couldn't get anything.