phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Definitely NOT the "Worlds oldest trees" by quite a stretch (magazine "facts" are notoriously unreliable), but still ... "

upload_2018-6-16_18-7-25.png

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has anyone here ever had any baobab wood?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Has anyone here ever had any baobab wood?

Never even seen it for sale. For some reason, I’ve always thought it was supposed to be soft and stringy, but I may be way off.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Oh go ahead and say it old man... The damn tree is 2450 years old, it probably died of old age! Global warming didn't have bat guana to do with it!!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Oh go ahead and say it old man... The damn tree is 2450 years old, it probably died of old age! Global warming didn't have bat guana to do with it!!
I agree, especially with the bat guano (sh!t) part of it.....

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
You and me both... I get so tired of everything that is wrong with this world being blamed on mankind supposedly releasing a naturally occurring element, that is causing something that has gone on for 4.5 BILLION YEARS.

Best estimates at man's existence on this planet places us here only 3 million or so years of that, only 6000 years of which we have been colonized, and only 200-250 years of which we have been industrialized and releasing CO2 into the atmosphere. Recorded climatology has not been around more than the last century. Historical climatology is based on stories and paintings suggesting it was warm/cold therefore assumptions of temperatures during a given period. Even in the event a thermometer was read, and the temperature was written down, who had a thermometer that measured temperature to the tenth or hundredth of a degree back there 200 years ago, and just exactly how accurate was it? A good deal of the temperature change we've seen in the last 100 years could very likely be a result of improvements in technology.

Regardless... if climate change is supposedly all mankind's fault, who caused it the other 4,447,000,000 years prior to our existence?

Jordan Pisowicz

Jordan Piso
Reaction score
First name
Jordan
I had wondered In The past about baobob wood and I remember going on to hobbitthouseinc looking for imagea and info on it. If i remember correctly, it wasn't listed or i couldn't locate it if it was. Epic trees. Had no idea they were "dying off".... However I do think think they are the world's oldest trees or even in the assumed top ten. Pretty sure Ol' Methuselah is still holding it down... Bristlecone Pine at an undisclosed location in California is said to be almost 5 thousand years old if I'm not mistaken... Truly amazing. It gets my heart beating when I start to daydream about these ancient sages. So damned cool.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
You and me both... I get so tired of everything that is wrong with this world being blamed on mankind supposedly releasing a naturally occurring element, that is causing something that has gone on for 4.5 BILLION YEARS.

Best estimates at man's existence on this planet places us here only 3 million or so years of that, only 6000 years of which we have been colonized, and only 200-250 years of which we have been industrialized and releasing CO2 into the atmosphere. Recorded climatology has not been around more than the last century. Historical climatology is based on stories and paintings suggesting it was warm/cold therefore assumptions of temperatures during a given period. Even in the event a thermometer was read, and the temperature was written down, who had a thermometer that measured temperature to the tenth or hundredth of a degree back there 200 years ago, and just exactly how accurate was it? A good deal of the temperature change we've seen in the last 100 years could very likely be a result of improvements in technology.

Regardless... if climate change is supposedly all mankind's fault, who caused it the other 4,447,000,000 years prior to our existence?
Yeppers, and these are the same folks that cannot tell you what the temperature will be next week. Having been employed in an outdoor activity, i used to walk outside and check the wind. With wind direction and looking at the sky, i had much better accuracy than the local weather idiot. And hell if people are that bad get rid of themmmm, at least those south of the 40th parralell. :cool:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry

Dang, Rocky, you think like I do. We are on the same page on that stuff, except the for the current accuracy of temp measuring devices. It hadn't occurred to me yet, but an inkling of that scientific thought was lurking in the back of walnut sized orb I call a brain.

I disagree with Herb G. The Aboriginay's were there, but only lived in small nomadic groups. "Colonization" used by Rocky probably means ancient peoples gathering together into permanent walled in cities, establishing set rules and regulations plus tax codes, and then trying to lay claim to other areas where the inhabitants weren't "colonized" yet. ( My small orb is starting to hurt, so I have to stop my rambling) ............... Jerry (in Tucson)